Who, precisely, are we not permitted to criticize on this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djcheburashka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday, I was banned for a day, and a host of posts have now been deleted, which concerned the Conception fire.

The reason for the ban and deletion, is that while what I had posted was truthful and accurate, it was also critical of a moderator and financial supporter of this site.

I will not name names here, but there are people on this board who are passing themselves off - and being accepted as - experts on safety, and there are things that those people have said and done that the rest of us need to know about. Both so they can decide how much weight to give to those people's claims, and so they can make their own judgments about which operators are and are not behaving in a safe manner.

And it still didn't stop you.... :popcorn:

Damn straight it didn't.

I refused to dive with, but kept my mouth shut, about this person for *years*. It is now abundantly clear - to anyone who bothers to look - that they behaved in a manner that is extraordinarily reckless, for years. While laughing that it was fine, because their lawyer could beat any case.

The point is not to attack this individual. It is to attack a culture in the dive industry of recklessness, and of shifting responsibility onto others.

It is a conversation that I think is long overdue, and that I intend to start.

Too bad you kept your mouth shut? Now you want to be reactionary? I always prefer proactive.

Yesterday, I was banned for a day, and a host of posts have now been deleted, which concerned the Conception fire.

The reason for the ban and deletion, is that while what I had posted was truthful and accurate, it was also critical of a moderator and financial supporter of this site.

I will not name names here, but there are people on this board who are passing themselves off - and being accepted as - experts on safety, and there are things that those people have said and done that the rest of us need to know about. Both so they can decide how much weight to give to those people's claims, and so they can make their own judgments about which operators are and are not behaving in a safe manner.

There is absolutely no chance that you will get an honest answer to that question from the SB mods. If you begin to piece together what results in censorship here, you'll find it's largely irrational and arbitrary and hypocritical. For example, being a lawyer wouldn't help you; the mods actively search to see who might be one, and their paranoid about that is off the charts. Basically, there's little conception here of free speech or of how the cure for stupid or annoying speech is more speech rather than shutting down speech; the mods tend to think they own the forum. SB definitely isn't the university of diving, it's more like the sandbox of diving, where the people who think they own the toys like to take them away from others when those others aren't doing what they like. Just get used to the petty tyranny; most of the mods are different merely in degree, not in type, from the tyrants you hear about on the news.

The reason for the ban and deletion, is that while what I had posted was truthful and accurate,
What you posted was not accurate, was highly biased, was inflammatory and close to libelous. I cheered your ban. I'm sorry to see you back. Please try and find a way to add value rather than trying to demean and be mean.

Isn’t access to this site at will?

What you posted was not accurate, was highly biased, was inflammatory and close to libelous. I cheered your ban. I'm sorry to see you back. Please try and find a way to add value rather than trying to demean and be mean.
Whenever I see your posts I cringe, because they're so frequently arrogant and poorly reasoned. This one, and your following one, are prime examples. No SB mod is going to have any credibility in questioning others, when they let your two posts stand. But, thanks for proving my point!

Back
Top Bottom