Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It never hurts to look anyway. I have had an ugly forecast and had it calm at Monastery. I guess it depends on how far you are coming from. It may not be worth it if you have to travel a long way.

Here is something that I wrote a while back (Monterey Dive Infomation- Wave Dissertion) to help explain how waves work and reading wave forecasts. You might find it helpful.

Ben

Thank you Ben.

It never hurts to look anyway. I have had an ugly forecast and had it calm at Monastery. I guess it depends on how far you are coming from. It may not be worth it if you have to travel a long way.

We are going to be there ether way. So might as well load the gear.

Friday evening I was not feeling well and decided to call off the dive. We still went to see our friends and enjoy some great company, good wine, and the cool temps, it was HOT here in Fresno this weekend.
I learned something very important though. Friday before I went to bed CDIP, WAM, NOAA, and Swell watch All had it looking really rough for Saturday. When I woke up Saturday CDIP looked great and when we got to Monterey the morning looked great. I looked at my wife laughed, threw my hands up and said, "I AM DONE CHECKING CONDITIONS! From now on we load up, drive, and dive. If it's bad, oh well." So, bottom line if there isn't a storm hitting I am done worrying about it. There is only one way to know and that is to GO.

Dove 9-17 and 9-18. Lovers point.

9-17 Conditions weren't great after the Monday winds. Dove entered/exited the sandy beach side.
9-18 conditions were very good. Dove Lovers #3? Rocky entrance. Easy in and out. Winds were calm and conditions flattened out considerably compared to previous day--especially since it rained in the Bay Area during the morning. Monterey had about 2 minutes of drizzle around 1pm, even though sunny almost all around. Seemed like one dark cloud just moved through the area. Didn't even make the paper napkins at lunch very wet.

Took a heading of 330 out to the kelp fields. Long surface swim, but nice to find an area that wasn't an urchin barren. 35-44 depth, good kelp, 53 degree water temp.

We probably need a thread on what dive spots still have kelp.

Dove North Monastery Monday. 15 +/- foot vis. Water temp 55 degrees. Water was a hazy greenish blue color. A bit of surge but it was walk in walk out. Waves were moderate. There was several moon jellies.

Breakwater was brown with only a few divers making very short dives.

Did 2 dives at North Monastery with Mubin. First dive was 40 +/-ft vis and blue water. Went to the canyon and vis was closer to 50ft there. Waves had to be timed but it was not insane. Walked in crawled out but only because I was too lazy to walk out. Second dive was 25ft +/- vis. Nice bait ball in shallows with seal taking advantage of it. We were the only two divers there all day. Epic Monastery day. Blue sky, sun shining and warm.

We revisited the Metridium fields on Saturday, Oct.5. Vis could have been better. Mostly nothing at the surface or down a few feet. Opened up a bit at 30 feet, maybe 10-15 feet vis. The field is at a depth of 45 feet. Happy we found it quickly. Surface temp. 58 degrees, depth 51 degrees. Max depth 49 feet. We entered at the wall and used our scooters to reach the site. Water was also a bit green. Still fun of course. With the wonderful world of color filters the video looks better than it actually was. (You may note the time stamp at the beginning is wrong. That clip was taken with my buddies camera.)

Two dives today at North Monastery. 30-40 foot vis. Better and less in spots. 52 degree water. Awesome dive day. Walk in walk out. Pretty calm.

Here is a link

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom