Morning dives near Rome, Venice, or Athens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion in Italy it’s better to segregate diving from sightseeing . When you go diving you need to reach the diving spot, park the car/leave the train station, do the paperwork in the diving, wait for the scheduled departure time of the boat, set up the gear, do the briefing. Then you dive and after that you wash the gear, etc. etc. There are towns with very good dives that start close to the town center, for example Genoa, Naples, Trieste and also Venice if you are lucky with the visibility. But even there you need to dedicate at least a full morning or a full afternoon to diving if not the whole day

I agree on both. In Naples very close to the city there is Baia (like Pompeii but underwater...) mostly people go to Pozzuoli to dive there. Then the Banco di Santa Croce (in Massa Lubrense again close to Naples), the Vervece, the islands like Ischia and Procida etc.
There are some threads in this section about them
Those dives may suit me next year :) thanks k

A good combination of diving and historical places is also Palermo/Ustica Island and Malta (which is not Italy of course). Ustica is possibly the best dive in Italy, and Palermo is wonderful and perhaps underestimated abroad. It was a capital city of a kingdom and Italians consider it comparable to Venice or Florence

@Sbiriguda yes, gf loves Indonesia diving but I don't fly well so European diving is more interesting. I will check these sites out, Cheers, k

If you are set on visiting Rome and Venice, I would save Greece for another trip and hit Verona in between the other 2 cities and also include a day on the island of Murano when visiting Venice. I concur with the sentiment expressed earlier that Venice is a much different place at night when the massive amount of people there for day trips have left.

Things to do in Verona:
Visit the house of Capulet
Visit the grave of Juliet
Visit the coliseo di Verona
Shopping
Visit castle Vecchio
Gardaland amusement park
Etc.

-Z

A good combination of diving and historical places is also Palermo/Ustica Island and Malta (which is not Italy of course). Ustica is possibly the best dive in Italy, and Palermo is wonderful and perhaps underestimated abroad. It was a capital city of a kingdom and Italians consider it comparable to Venice or Florence
Good to know. My maternal grandmother's parents were from Palermo, and we've been talking about someday taking a trip there as a family. Maybe I'll squeeze in some diving then.

+3 on Venice after the crowds leave.

We went to Italy for three weeks and I didn't think there was time to squeeze in diving.
There is so much to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom