Please help a newby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigbob7777

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all. I am a newby with only 10 dives under my belt. I firmly believe in owning my own equipment, so I am in the market for a bc. However, I am suffering from bc overload. Please help.

This is what I’m confused with and would like:
I am 5’7”, 185 lbs, 64 years young.
I only do warm water diving in the Carribean.
I live in Georgia, inland, so I don’t have access to a pool to try different gear.
Looking under the $600 range.

I have been looking at the ScubaPro Go and the cressi travelite, but am open to ideas.

I like the write-ups on the back inflators, but one of the things that brings terror to my research is when I read about “back inflators” that tend to push my face into the water while on the surface. I understand that I shouldn’t totally inflate the back, but those words still scare the #$&*@ out of me. Sometimes the boats down here are not where you surface and you may need to float for 10 minutes or so on the surface. I need my face out of the water!

I only do recreational diving with my wife and a friend. I am OW certified, but going for AOW next month in Dominican Republic.

I have NO CLUE what lift I would need. Last time I went diving, the company put me in an xl size jacket (that wanted to float without me) and 18 lbs weights. It felt uncomfortable but hey, what do I know? I was just happy to be under water.
I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but would sure like some guidance and direction.

Please help,
Bob

I would HIGHLY recommend the Xdeep Ghost, especially if you are into photography. When I had one (I dive sidemount now), I could comfortably put myself in any position and be stable. It weighs less than 5 lbs. I had the one with the deluxe harness. Easy to travel with in a carry on with your reg and dive computer.

Everyone is going to recommend what they have used. This is what I used, and I regret selling it, as now the future wife wants to learn to dive, and I would have her use this when we travel. I will have to buy it again. Now if I could only track down the person I sold it to and buy it back!

The "pushing you face down" not really true. I guess if you are unconscious it could be a problem. I started diving about 25 years ago and only used jacket BCDs. I took a long break from diving, life happens you know. when I returned a few years ago I rented a jacket for my first dive because I was worried about the same thing. my second dive all they had was a back inflate... well... I bought one. I regularly fully inflate and lay back on it at the end of a dive to rest or for a long surface swim. My wife, a new diver with about 15 dives, felt the same way as you. that was until she tried on, now she owns one, she loves it. they are not hard to stay vertical or lay back, granted it did take a couple minutes to get use to it. Hope this helps.
Happy Diving

The "pushing you face down" not really true.

That varies with BCD and diver physique. I dive a Seaquest rear inflate, I love it in the water but on the surface I'm constantly finning to stay upright. If I lost consciousness I'd be a goner. And I've tried everything from inflating as little as possible to shifting weights up higher, it does not help.

Oh, about the pushing your face down. I've never experienced this in a bp/w. IIRC, people have said this is due to overweighting and/or overinflating. I'll have to experiment to figure out how people have this problem.

I'd recommend the Aqualung Rogue. I purchased two for my boys. They can be configured in a number of ways in the shoulders, back and waist. We opted for the integrated weights in the waist assembly.

Thanks. Was the “takes a couple minutes to get used to it”, panic or just normalcy? Lol

For my Wife and I, normally. We shore dive in Monterey mostly and on our first time in the water it only took a minute or two to figure it out, wasn't hard. I have an Oceanic Excursion and my wife has a Hollis HD-200. I'm a big guy and not in the best shape 6'3" 300LBS my Wife is in quite a bit better shape 5'7" 135. This has been our experience with these BCs. Oh and we have only dived cold water... for now, this may or may not make a difference.

I am not making a recommendation for any BC, I don't have enough experience with all the different types. I will say we REALLY like Back Inflate over Jacket.

I'd recommend the Aqualung Rogue. I purchased two for my boys. They can be configured in a number of ways in the shoulders, back and waist. We opted for the integrated weights in the waist assembly.
Why did you opt for the weights there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom