Alor October - How many mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from 12 days at Alami Alor. The water was colder than anticipated, ranging from 69 degrees to 78 at the surface. I wore a diveskin, a 1 mm, and after a couple days, my 3 mm over it all. I was comfortable. It was considerably colder swimming with the Mola molas when they surfaced.
Wow , 12 days at Alami Alor, we stayed there in October of last year and loved it. Did you see Mola there ? We were lucky enough to see hammerheads twice , but two days before we got there a whaleshark and a blue whale were spotted. Did you like Alami Alor ?

I am enjoying the trip (just started the third day of diving) but there is one BIG negative for me: the saloon is *super* noisy! I just cannot stand it in there when there's more than maybe 10 people. I also hear it in my cabin as we are just off of it. 5:30AM every day - yes, I am a light sleeper.

We had a rough night last night, I was surprised because the boat is so big, but it was rockin' & rollin' pretty hard. I would have hated to do that on (say) the Mermaid.

- Bill

Blue Manta is about 50% bigger than Mermaid. Last night storm would make me a lot more miserable if I were on Mermaid.

Food wise, Mermaid is still the best one I ever had among 15 liveaboards I had been on.

Back on topic, I wore 2 mm shorty & hood over 3mm full wetsuit & felt comfortable with them diving in Clown Valley (Anemone City) Alor yesterday.

Early September is still winter time in Australia. The cold stream from Indian Ocean brings that cold stream through Alor. By October, it would be warmer. However, the hammerheads don’t like the warmer water, so I heard. We’ll see.

Back on topic, I wore 2 mm shorty & hood over 3mm full wetsuit & felt comfortable with them diving in Clown Valley (Anemone City) Alor yesterday.

Early September is still winter time in Australia. The cold stream from Indian Ocean brings that cold stream through Alor. By October, it would be warmer. However, the hammerheads don’t like the warmer water, so I heard. We’ll see.
They like depth but apparently, water temp doesn't matter much : each time I've seen hammerheads in the northern part of the Pantar strait, the water temp was not less than 26C, while a day after I was freezing my a** off south of Puri, where Anemone city is located.
That proves the saying once again : Alor, you never know.:D

After that, not so much. Food: meh.
Food wise, Mermaid is still the best one I ever had among 15 liveaboards I had been on.
Looks like you don't have the same diet/food requirements. Don't know who to rely on. Do you like white wine, Dan?

The lowest we have had it in Alor is 17/18 .... but the afternoon dive was 27! Luko is right on saying Alor is tricky! We will be there in October too!! Have fun and just keep swimming!!
I'll be there in Oct. as well. Diving with Air Alor! Oct. 12th

Wow , 12 days at Alami Alor, we stayed there in October of last year and loved it. Did you see Mola there ? We were lucky enough to see hammerheads twice , but two days before we got there a whaleshark and a blue whale were spotted. Did you like Alami Alor ?

Yes, I swam with Mola molas three times and got a photo of one underwater. Amazing critters! Another highlight was a thresher shark that appeared twice on one dive. Alami Alor was very nice, but I didn't care for the long boat rides and the food. My friend and I were craving soup to warm up from the cold water and they never served it.

Do you think we will cross paths somewhere in Alor?
You're on a LOB (which one?) and I am at a resort -- they usually try to avoid each other.

Maybe more likely we could go for coffee next time I am back in SF? (next July 2020 or so).

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom