Spool for ~100' Dive? (looking on DGX Website)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn’t recommend the big DGX spool. I got one and it is not handy for shooting a SMB. The blue Apeks is the best among the ones I have tried. But, my goodness, what happened to the price?! I bought it for about 70 quid and since then my investment has grown in value tremendously! I am rich!!!

Just to chuck another alternative in the mix, the Apeks Lifeline 45m is a nice piece of kit.

45m LifeLine Spool

Yes, I know it's overpriced, but I've yet to find a more ergonomically refined and free running spool with quality line. I use mine with 5mm gloves in the UK and bare in the Red Sea and it's just as easy to handle in both environments.

Can't offer a comparison to your other choices as we don't always carry the same brands over here.

I like the looks of the Apeks spools. I’m just too thrifty to drop that kind of money on a spool. I have enough of an issue processing $55 for the Light Monkey one.

Why wouldn't you consider a reel instead? I find a reel much easier to deploy and control than a spool, plus they carry more line. I carry a spool for backup, but if I ever need to shoot a bag, I use the reel. More expensive, I guess. Light Monkey and Halcyon make great ones...

Why wouldn't you consider a reel instead? I find a reel much easier to deploy and control than a spool, plus they carry more line. I carry a spool for backup, but if I ever need to shoot a bag, I use the reel. More expensive, I guess. Light Monkey and Halcyon make great ones...

Perusing the internets at the moment, I have to confess that I am thinking about a reel (and keeping one of my spools for a backup).

Light Monkey Delrin Side Handle 200 Reel | Dive Gear Express®

I’ve got a Dive Rite classic reel at the moment. I’m not a fan of it.

I purchased a very nice ($$) custom SS spool years ago when they first came out. I had it about a year, before I lost it on a dive. Hated to see it go, but won’t do that again.

Perusing the internets at the moment, I have to confess that I am thinking about a reel (and keeping one of my spools for a backup).

Light Monkey Delrin Side Handle 200 Reel | Dive Gear Express®

I’ve got a Dive Rite classic reel at the moment. I’m not a fan of it.

Yup, that's what I do, keep the reel clipped off to my right D-ring, spool in my pocket as a backup.

To shoot a bag, loop the line around the bag's strap (don't rely on bolt snaps for a connection), inflate a bit (the deeper you are, the less gas you need), and then just hold the reel by the handle as the bag goes up. You can control ascent with your thumb on the reel for friction (usually not necessary). Once it's on the surface, you can even just tighten the screw and let the reel hang in front of you hands free as you drift with it if necessary (if you need two hands for something for a short time). No risk of broken fingers, much less likely to lose a reel with your hand firmly in the handle than a spool where you have to hold it loosely to let it unwind. But of course, if it jams or something, you can just drop it to avoid getting pulled up. You can also use it for laying penetration line better than a spool.

I don't like those "classic" reels as much, the Light Monkey / Halcyon design is much better. I carry a 400 foot reel, but the 200 would be smaller, cheaper, and enough for a 100 foot dive. There are even big cave reels with 600 feet or more.

.. I’m not a fan of it.
2 hands or one-handed is a good question to ask...........Manta Reels = Can't break it & Worth every expensive penny for them !!

JR. Reel

Back
Top Bottom