Spool for ~100' Dive? (looking on DGX Website)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For deep-ish (by recreational standards) dives in areas prone to strong current...which spool on DGX would you go with that has 120'+ of line (leaning more towards 150'+)? Bonus points for not having a dinky little center hole (ex. OMS ABS Plastic Finger Spools), as I have large fingers and tend to wear gloves.

Options:

-DGX Custom - Stainless Steel Finger Spools. X-Large 175' line (or go with the Large that has 125' of line)

-Dive Rite POM Acetal Plastic Finger Spools. Large 120' line.

-Light Monkey Delrin Spools with S/S Snap. Large 150'. This has a 1.25" center hole, which is appealing. However, it's only available with Dacron line, so it's costlier than the other two options.

Thoughts?

In addition, you'll need to take some line off the spool before using it, because when it gets wet the line expands and causes the spool to overflow and loops to come off. So even without a current, a 100 foot spool won't have 100 ft of line and won't get to the surface. 120 spool minimum, 150-175 better. Agree on large hole in center. How cold is the water? Acetal can get brittle. I'd go with Delrin or SS.

I don't recall the angle of deployment and amount of line required from depth, especially in brisk current. I would think your 150 feet from rec limits, in significant current, may be on the low side. Dacron line is smaller in diameter and stronger than nylon line.

In addition, you'll need to take some line off the spool before using it, because when it gets wet the line expands and causes the spool to overflow and loops to come off. So even without a current, a 100 foot spool won't have 100 ft of line and won't get to the surface. 120 spool minimum, 150-175 better. Agree on large hole in center. How cold is the water? Acetal can get brittle. I'd go with Delrin or SS.

I'll keep this in mind. The perk of the DGX SS one is that it looks like they did not load the line to the point that this should be a concern (or at least not as much of a concern).

This will be used in 75-85* water. I don't anticipate needing this spool for any cold dives. I was wondering on the Dive Rite spool. Most spools that I see (quality ones...at least) are either Delrin or SS.

I don't recall the angle of deployment and amount of line required from depth, especially in brisk current. I would think your 150 feet from rec limits, in significant current, may be on the low side. Dacron line is smaller in diameter and stronger than nylon line.

The estimate that I've seen thrown out is your line requirement is "at least" 1.5 times your expected depth. As you said though...if that's correct (or in the ballpark)...150' is on the low end.

The Dive Rite POM Acetal Plastic Finger Spools. Large 120' line now also has a tiny tiny centre hole. Dive Rite changed specs.
Go for the light monkey spool.
Piranha also sells large centre hole spools

Thoughts?

I am only curious why you would deploy so deep.

That said - why not use a wreck reel and SMB? I take a reel on every deep dive...

I am only curious why you would deploy so deep.

That said - why not use a wreck reel and SMB? I take a reel on every deep dive...

I have absolutely no intention of regularly deploying it that deep. The extra line is more of a "just in case" thing.

Edit: Having ~150' of line did not occur to me prior to doing some Meg Ledge dives last month. The Captain mentioned that "if you lose contact with the anchor chain/line...pop your SMB immediately so we realize there's a problem early and can see you. Don't wait until you're at 'xx' depth...because you could get swept beyond our sight." (paraphrased)

I would prefer to stick with a spool for SMB deployment (more simple).

The extra line is more of a "just in case" thing.

But a reel is more than just in case - put the SMB under a railing on ship - send it up - then use the reel to follow it up - you need twice the line for this maneuver... It is taught as a preferred method... Just in case. :)

Oh and at the surface cut or drop the line from the SMB and reel in the line... I missed that....

The added benefit of this spool is that if I can manage to do some drift dives while I'm in Florida this winter...it'll get some use there too.

The added benefit of this spool is that if I can manage to do some drift dives while I'm in Florida this winter...it'll get some use there too.
I would not use a spool to do drift dives in SE Florida. It is not convenient to reel in and out, and you may need considerably more line in brisk current.

Back
Top Bottom