Help! Best route to SOQ from YUL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first stay will be in Manado, at 10:45pm. I'll get a room at the Novotel.

I probably made some bad flight choices, and future Mel might swear at present Mel... but I tried to find a balance between shorter layovers, cost, and number of connecting flights. I have at least 4 hours between each of my connecting flights, ore than 6 for the ones on separate tickets.

Is there a way to pay for your Novotel room in advance? Or even better, have enough IDR on you to pay for your room. I have no idea what their problem is but I've been hung up there a couple of times because they could not process my credit card payment. Beyond frustrating when your room is ready but you can't get in because your card(s) don't work in their system. I have no idea if this is because they're Canadian credit cards or just what. In future, I will only be using cash.

Another option is to book through something like Orbitz or Agoda where you pre-pay. Agoda or Booking.com tends to be a bigger thing in Asia so that is what I usually use. (The locals in the hospitality industry are more familiar with it than Orbitz or Expedia.) I haven’t run into issues yet; I’ve been doing the pre-paid options that way to avoid hassle/miscommunication and surprise exchange differences, etc. Granted, that only works if the hotel you want is on that site.

I’ve been happy with their customer service as well (Agoda).

Without reading the whole thread I'll suggest you buffer your connections from your "Sorong to X" flight home as well. Flights leaving Sorong are also delayed frequently.

Yeah, I have a 6 hours between my flight from Sorong to Jakarta and the one from Jakarta to Shanghai.

I am SIX days away from my trip!!!!! And I'm naturally freaking out over all the things I have to do. *sigh*

I booked a stay at Cocotinos in Lembeh for my very short stay in Manado (too short, didn't plan that part very well). I wanted to get a couple dives in before my liveaboard and possibly tour Tangkoko, but also not have to schlept all my gear from place to place. Also, the idea of being able to just relax and rest by a beach had some appeal. I have a feeling I will be completely wrecked by the time I arrive in Manado.

ANYHOO!

I am now wondering about transportation to and from Manado Airport.

I emailed Cocotinos about reserving a transfer to Cocotinos and back. They quoted IDR 1.320.000 for a transfer to and from Cocotinos (they would pick me up at the Novotel, which is where I will be staying the night I arrive), and IDR 660.000 for a one-way transfer.

I downloaded the GoJek app, and the price I see there for a transfer from the airport to Cocotinos (general area) is 209,000 IDR.

Should I just book my own transfer? My flights leaves Manado at 8am.... which means I would have to leave the resort by 5am (at the latest). I don't know how easy it is to get a cab at that hour.

When looking at your tickets don't forget to factor in your checked baggage inclusions. A lot of the airlines (Air Asia included) don't usually include any baggage and you have to pay for every kg. Don't forget airlines in Asia limit carry on to 7kg and they usually do weigh and check. Account for that when you compare some airfares. Garuda usually includes free checked baggage of around 20kg and then they also have 23kg of free scuba allowance whereas other carriers do not usually include anything although Batik does include 20kg with economy.

WTF - Air Asia wants to charge me 2,405.79 CNY for checking a 20 kg bag. That's twice the price of the flight cost! What the hell? They charge the fee not for the entire leg, but for each flight, so once for Shanghai to KL, and once again for KL to Jakarta. And same on the return.

???

it should be less, 250 cny Pudong to KL, and 60 myr KL to jakarta, so about 50 usd each way. are you doing this at the gate?

Keep in mind that you'll be tired when you finally get to your first stay stop. This appears to be Sorong?

I tuck in to the hotel and go to bed and sleep as long as my body will let me do so. Bear in mind that if you arrive early morning, you may not actually be given your room until a few hours later. This leaves you with a bunch of other folk in the lobby area feeling like crap. :p so be prepared to be patient.
If we're arriving way before normal checkin I just book the room for the previous night too (and note when we will be checking in, send them an email or whatever.) Worth it to know we will be able to crash as soon as we get there.

Back
Top Bottom