First trip to Hawaii January 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMalby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
C7FF0EBE-BADA-40EE-A7BE-D7A5797E7C20.jpeg

One of my vendors puts a destination cruise together every year. My wife and I are not very fond of cruises so we have never signed up for one. However this year they presented us with a trip to fly to Hawaii, board a cruise ship and island hop for 7 days. Neither one of us has been to Hawaii so we thought what a cool way to see all islands and discover the ones we like best!

I have been diving for 7 years and have 50+ dives, most in the Caribbean of Mexico. This past May I finally got my wife to gear up and take a Discover Scuba Course in Grand Cayman. OMG this women feel in love with the sport. I was so surprised as she is scarred to cross a hi-rise bridge over water lol. At least twice a week she will send me shark diving videos (what have I done?). She has always been afraid to get in the water when we visit Florida but now wants to cage dive with great whites! This summer she got her OW certification and we have a trip planned in October back to Cayman to see the sites and work on skills.

We would love to dive every day while in Hawaii but after reading some threads about the diving not being all that great and the topside so amazing we decided to mix it up. Really would like to capitalize on dive sites (keeping our experience level in mind) and also our topside sites. Any suggestions given on dive sites, topside sites, dive ops etc? Here is a pic of the ports we will be in and the time spent at each one. We appreciate any and all help given to us planning this trip!

Sounds lovely! What time of year are you going? The waters are likely to be colder than Cayman especially during the winter and spring.

I'm not a cruiser but I do know that your time in port may be more limited than you realize. It may take time for the boats to dock and depart and you might have to travel by tenders to/from shore.

We did a liveaboard from Kona on the Big Island and it was great. We really enjoyed Hawaiian diving, it's not the gorgeous soft corals and sponges of the Caribbean but healthy hard corals and lots of beautiful sea life, but I agree that you should take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful topside of Hawaii and just plan a couple/few dives. Take a look around and come back later for a dive trip.

My most memorable dive in Hawaii was the night dive with Mantas in Kona, but I don't know if that will be an option with your cruise schedule. I think that the cruise ships often move at night but I am not sure.

Have fun!

Divibg in Hawaii can be exceptional but some of it is not within cruise parameters. My buddy did a south Kona dive once and was joined by 200 of his firends - Spinner Dolphins. I've dove with Mantas off Maui, Huge Turtles off Kauai and probably 4-5000 Butterly's, Moorish Idols and about a dozen white tip sharks off Lanai. Mot a dive for your wife though, we flew by the fish and could not stop unless we hugged the bottom.

The issue you'll have is that on several islands the boats go out between 6-7am and you likely won't be in port yet. One good thing is several shops do shallower afternoon boat dives - often their cert dives or discover dives but they're still to good dive sites. One I prefered over the meh deeper dives we did that morning. Also they're usually along the coast so shorter rides giving you time to get back for dinner

You dock inn Kahului which is east Maui. All the diving is on the west shore and the boats nearest to you in Kihei (you would need a car) all leave very early from the boat ramp there - plan am hour for the ride over. So that seems difficult.

One option would be to shore dive, those are often in the afternoons. Plus it might just be you and a guide. Some to contact: Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei, Shaka Divers in Kihei, Scuba Mike ot possibly Extended Horizons in Lahaina. There's a lot of decent shore dives from Wailea/Kihei up the coast to Kapalua. Nost are fairly shallow, you have to swim a long way out to hit 60' Sherato Black Rock is an easy shallow dive in Kaanapali, I also like Wailea Beach in Waileas as the good diving along the south side starts around 20'.

Both are nice beaches and backed by resorts for food etc.

Also check with Lahaina Divers - their afternoon dives would be tailored for your wife and are often to one of the generic Turtle Town sites where you'll see some.

Also being on that side of Maui you aren't too far from the Road to Hana which is a nice, scenic, waterfall filled drive. Go with a tour, it's one of the twistiest roads in th US,

Find something else to do from Hilo, it's over an hour drive to diving from there and you'll be in Kona later that week which is where it is. Maybe a Volcanes National Park tour since it's fairly close by. Hilo is more of a locals/port town. There's only one shop, no dive boats and about 2-3 average shore dives you'd have to drive to.

Depending on your arrival time in Kona - should be early asa it's going to take about 2 hr.s. - you should be able to find some dives. Most of the shops have offices in Kona and their boats in a harbor a little north of there - ask about shuttle rides as a few provide them. Try Jacks Diving, Kona Honu, my favorite Kona Diving Co. or Big Island Divers. Jack's is a longish walk from the cruise dock - on South Alii Dr - the waterfront road. The other shops a little inland in a condo mall -- all 3 of them. Take a cab it's easier.

Kauai is really georgeous so you may want to be tourists there. No shops around Nawilwili but Seasport Divers has a shop in Kapaa but their boat is south in Poipu so check if they have a shuttle - Poipu is maybe 30mins drive - and the shops there and boats in two different locations.

Seasports and Fathom Five keep boats in Poipu - actually a harbor nearby. A good dive that should fit into your cruise departure schedule is Sheraton Caverns - interesting open swim-thru's in collapsed lava tubes and lots of big green turtles. Some of the other boat dives might not be good for your wife - Fast Lanes is one to probably avoid.

IDK Oahu diving well enough to comment.

Of course there you've got Pearl Harbor or Waikiki Beach also. The Waikiki Aquarum though small has two interesting exhibits - one is they do critically endangered Monk Seal rehab and you can view them. Also in a small tank in the back we found live Chambered Nauitilus - I have never seen them anywhere else and I've been to many of the best aquariums. They also have some cool outdoor tanks at the entrance.

hth, about the only helpI can offer for Oahu is contact Gabe at Kaimana Divers and see what he can offer. He's on SB as Scotti the Duck

One other possible option for Maui is check into some of the snorkel/sail/dive tours offered as some likely will shuttle you across the island. Possibly booked thru your cruise. The often leave out of Maalea on the west shore. More expensive but they feed you lunch also. Pride of Maui is one, I dove and my family snorkeled. They also do a Discovery Dive and moor inside Molokini Crater where it's protected. Trilogy Sailing Charters might be another - I think they offer diving on their trips - plus SNUBA/snorkeling and you get to help sail.

For most of your ports I would consider any cruise dive offerings - probably catered to pax at your wife's level and they handle the logistics.

I see your map but do not see the time in ports chart. Nothing in HI is too far - Except Kona to Kauai so I assume you'll wake up each morning in a new one.
As I mentioned with Hilo and Kahului, the port is on the wrong side of the island from the diving so allow for that. Sone of the smalller boats leave early.

Lots of good info already covered. The Manta dive from Kona should be at the top of the list when coming to HI. We have enjoyed diving off of all the islands but seeing some above water sights is also important.

Prior to moving to Big Island we would vacation at vrbo rentals that include diving for no extra charge.

I'd say hopping 4 islands in 7 days is a waste of time. You want to see everything but will likely end up having seen nothing.

However, in any case, Hawaiian waters in January can be rough with temperatures 79 F or lower.

Hey guys..... would like to chime in a bit if I could. After booking divers here on Oahu for our tours for the past 13 years Oahu bound cruisers should know that the 7am docking doesn't really give you enough time to make the morning boats. True, Honolulu Harbor is only a few quick minuets from where the boats leave at Kewalo Basin but lots of operators push for an early 7:30am departure for the Wreck/Reef dives. That being said, most of us run a mid day dive (start times ranging from 10:30 to 1 or 2pm) so plenty of options there. Hope this info helps! Enjoy our amazing islands and do take advantage of the diving on the outer islands as well. Mahalo!

G

I agree with the suggestion to look into shore diving options.
There are many and many are good.
You will need to do some research.

Our Hawaii diving experience was top shelf.

One other possible option for Maui is check into some of the snorkel/sail/dive tours offered as some likely will shuttle you across the island. Possibly booked thru your cruise. The often leave out of Maalea on the west shore. More expensive but they feed you lunch also. Pride of Maui is one, I dove and my family snorkeled. They also do a Discovery Dive and moor inside Molokini Crater where it's protected. Trilogy Sailing Charters might be another - I think they offer diving on their trips - plus SNUBA/snorkeling and you get to help sail.

For most of your ports I would consider any cruise dive offerings - probably catered to pax at your wife's level and they handle the logistics.

I see your map but do not see the time in ports chart. Nothing in HI is too far - Except Kona to Kauai so I assume you'll wake up each morning in a new one.
As I mentioned with Hilo and Kahului, the port is on the wrong side of the island from the diving so allow for that. Sone of the smalller boats leave early.
Thank you for ALL the info diversteve you have gave us lots to look into. I don't have the schedule with times yet but I do know we spend 2 days at port in Maui and Kaua'i. I think your suggestion of "looking into what the boat might offer" will be our best option. I appreciate the feedback you have provided!

Sounds lovely! What time of year are you going? The waters are likely to be colder than Cayman especially during the winter and spring.

I'm not a cruiser but I do know that your time in port may be more limited than you realize. It may take time for the boats to dock and depart and you might have to travel by tenders to/from shore.

We did a liveaboard from Kona on the Big Island and it was great. We really enjoyed Hawaiian diving, it's not the gorgeous soft corals and sponges of the Caribbean but healthy hard corals and lots of beautiful sea life, but I agree that you should take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful topside of Hawaii and just plan a couple/few dives. Take a look around and come back later for a dive trip.

My most memorable dive in Hawaii was the night dive with Mantas in Kona, but I don't know if that will be an option with your cruise schedule. I think that the cruise ships often move at night but I am not sure.

Have fun!
We are not much of the cruiser types either but I could not pass up the deal! I liked diversteve's suggestion of seeing what the boat has to offer and will most likely do that. From what I understand about the cruise ships booking through them is the only way you are guaranteed to get back on the ship if the excursion runs late.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom