Help me decide where to dive in Indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Aswar is now with Absolute?

Totally agree re Crystal Bay and manta point - I've always done them on seperate days leaving at sun up. SD and Topicaneverspellit as up there with most enjoyable Bali dive sites.

So Aswar is now with Absolute?
Yup, he's been there for more than a year now., first saw him in aug 2018.
Whichever morning I'm diving PB, walking the road down to Geko with my uw photo outfit, I usually hear Aswar calling me, so I can chat a bit and remind him silly songs like "Rivers of Babylon" he used to sing in Bangka after dinner time.:p

Yup, he's been there for more than a year now., first saw him in aug 2018.
Whichever morning I'm diving PB, walking the road down to Geko with my uw photo outfit, I usually hear Aswar calling me, so I can chat a bit and remind him silly songs like "Rivers of Babylon" he used to sing in Bangka after dinner time.:p

What is it with that song and the greater manado dive guide community lol? I've heard it on Bangka, Bunaken at the church and Mainland multiple places - did Boney M once appear in concert in Manado??

We need @Tippytoes12 to weigh in here too.
Too right Chily !

Well like any sensible SBoarder I wholeheartedly agree with what you and Luko and of course as well as all of the other experts here say.

I just adore Bali, spent two weeks in Ubud on a backpacking trip around the world in 1991, when it was one of my favourite places. Fast forward to 2011 and Peter and I went on a dive trip to Bali.To my delight I enjoyed this trip even more than I had in 1991 and have been back several times since.

On a good day all of the areas mentioned previously are world class. For a two week trip I would do Tulamben ( Liberty Dive Resort was amazing ) and then either Padang Bai or Lembongan. I’ve have a friend who went to Sulawesi for two weeks , did his OW there and loved it. Komodo is wonderful as are Raja Ampat and Ambon.

@Cali_diver - Rivers of Babylon, Buffalo Soldier, Hotel California....the songs of the dive guides...maybe there is hope some new tunes will catch on. I was on Pindito last year and formed a band "The Komodos" with the Rinca guides and boat guys...we added Coldplays "Yellow" into the set with good old Rivers of Babylon :D

What is Nusa Dua area like to stay in Bali and dive?
I’ve been offered a free stay at a friends hotel.

I’m also looking at a resort a couple of hours drive away on the North East coast with Bali Dive Trek (this is a recommendation from some other friends)

Ok.... Basically all of the diving in Bali done in just a few areas... the first is around the two islands to the east called Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan. One can stay there or take day boats from either Sanur or Padang Bai. Out there is where you find big drift dives and the famous sites Crystal Bay and Manta Point.

The second is the east point generally bordered by Padang Bai and Tulamben. People generally stay in the villages of Padang Bai, Candidasa, Amed, and Tulamben. Padang Bai is popular as you get the best of both worlds: Bali muck/macro diving and good access to Nusa Penida. There are also nearby blue water dives that offer access to bigger pelagics and in-season mola mola. Each area has its signature dives. The furthest north, Tulamben, features amazing shore diving for macro and the famous Liberty Wreck.

The last is north-west around Menjangan. I have been once about ten years ago. Some people swear by it...me...Ive been once ten years ago. It is quite beautiful, uncrowded, and peaceful. The bang for the buck and five-hour drive from the airport has taken it off my radar. Your results may be different.

There is no diving in Nusa Dua, Ulawatu, or anyplace in the south or the big surf areas like Kuta, Seminyak, or Canggu. Understand I am not putting any of these areas down. I LOVE Canggu; we own a house there. To dive I have to drive a bit over an hour to Padang Bai. You should know anyone who tells you they are taking you diving in any of these areas means they are putting you in a car or bus and driving you to Sanur, Padang Bai, or Tulamben. Traffic in south and west Bali is horrendous. Nusa Dua is beautiful and full of big international hotels that cater to families. It simply isnt a diving destination.

Hope this helps.

update:

I've booked 3 days of diving and accommodation with Bali Dive Trek, anyone got any good tips for me? things to look out for?
I've got evenings free to explore, as a solo traveler is it safe to walk around? anywhere good to checkout?

TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom