Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Totally agree..I want to take the adv wreck under him as well but he is always fully booked from what I see. Probably one of the greatest diving legands in my eye
Richie does a fair job as well, but he has full time work. John is the go to guy for taking a class.

thanks for sharing the video and commentary, I found it interesting.

That was fun, thanks for posting. The recovery of a dropped spool method was new to me.

Why do you feel the need to come in and criticize?

Where did I do that? I am actually soliciting his opinion and impression of the quality of the course based on his first hand experience in taking a course with this particular dive "luminary."

SCUBA wouldn’t exist without him pounding the drum.
Really?

Chatterton is certainly competent to tell others what to do when it comes to wreck diving. He has had a bunch accomplishments prior to and since Shadow Divers, and he has a right to trade on his reputation to earn a living.
And what does this have to do with being a good teacher and for somebody like me to ask if he was a good teacher? I have dealt with people who wrote the book, or were in the process of writing "the book" in their subjects, and were outstanding inventors and researchers; some even were Nobel laureates in sciences and their accomplishments were far greater and more important to humanity, but they were terrible teachers. Their assistants were far better teachers than they were in dealing with students.

he has a right to trade on his reputation to earn a living.
More power to him.

[Slight Mod edit/deletion for equanimity in the thread...]

That was fun, thanks for posting. The recovery of a dropped spool method was new to me.
Yes, I was intrigued by the spool retrieval method..... although I'd probably end up dropping my torch as well :confused:

Nice video... really well done. I was surprised at the amount of kneeling and flutter kicking going on.

Nice video... really well done. I was surprised at the amount of kneeling and flutter kicking going on.
It's old school wreck technique that has worked for Chatterton and well, so that is what he teaches.

Many techniques there that I don't teach and don't feel is the optimal approach, but in many areas Chatterton is unequaled. But trim, buoyancy, anti silting, team diving and propulsion techniques? Yeah, if you are looking to dial that stuff in there may be other choices.

Understanding wrecks, real life offshore conditions and real life experience, he is in the top few wreck instructors in the game.

It's old school wreck technique that has worked for Chatterton and well, so that is what he teaches.

If it ain't broke...

If it ain't broke...
my approach is old school NAUI towards my diving and instructing, continual learning and improvement. It it ain't broke and is working I try to refine it.

while not as accomplished a wreck guy as Chatterton, but a wreck guy before I lived close to caves, and still a tech wreck penetration Instructor Trainer, I have found that more precise trim , buoyancy, propulsion etc makes for better wreck diving, especially if not digging for trophies . If digging ... let it get silty.

They were all wearing wreck muck marks at the end of the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom