Help me decide where to dive in Indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheCoolBeans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In October I’m going to Indonesia with work, I’ll be based in Jakarta for a few days. Normally I’d just fly back home to the UK after work but I feel like I’d be wasting an opportunity to do some amazing dives.
(especially as I can fly back anytime I want)

So my question is this... where is an easy place to fly from Jakarta to? I don’t want to spend more than 90mins on a plane and the flights need to be fairly regular so I can loosely work around my work schedule.

Also consider I’m a lone female traveler and don’t want to dive/visit anywhere dangerous.

Im thinking Bali or I hear Raja Ampat is nice?
Somewhere I can check out online and maybe a nice hotel resort tied to it for when I’m not diving I can enjoy some relaxation.

Help me internet HiveMind

In October I’m going to Indonesia with work, I’ll be based in Jakarta for a few days. Normally I’d just fly back home to the UK after work but I feel like I’d be wasting an opportunity to do some amazing dives.
(especially as I can fly back anytime I want)

So my question is this... where is an easy place to fly from Jakarta to? I don’t want to spend more than 90mins on a plane and the flights need to be fairly regular so I can loosely work around my work schedule.

Also consider I’m a lone female traveler and don’t want to dive/visit anywhere dangerous.

Im thinking Bali or I hear Raja Ampat is nice?
Somewhere I can check out online and maybe a nice hotel resort tied to it for when I’m not diving I can enjoy some relaxation.

Help me internet HiveMind

Would take the total travel time in consideration instead of the flight only. This can make some differences. For example compare some parts of Bali with Manado and/or Lembeh.

Saying Raja Ampat is nice is kind of an understatement. That being said it is a 4+ hour flight from Jakarta followed by 2+ hours on a speed boat.

Bali is a two-hour flight and 1.5 hours by car to Padang Bai or Candidasa. There are tons of daily flights to Jakarta.

Manado is another option: 3-hour flight and wall diving around Bunaken Island is a nice introduction to Indonesia. If you stay near Mando boat rides will be long-ish. Lembeh (Amazing muck diving) is another option less than an hour from Monado.

Start with Bali and work your way up.

Given your need for flexibility Bali is your best bet. Closest to Jakarta, has the most flights and has a good variety of dive sites.

Two dive companies that get regular recommendations are Gecko Divers and Aquamarine Diving. They will be able to sort a dive "safari' for you that gets you to a variety of good dives spots and they can sort out your accommodation if you need.

I was happy at Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai. It is nice and I really like the management, my room was big, clean and comfortable. That said, there are other properties with more Balinese ambiance. Some of them cost more, some cost the same or less but might not be as clean.

Depending on your budget, if you want to spend a day or two just lazing on the beach or by the pool, I loved the Laguna at Nusa Dua. See if you can get a room on the pool. I think I had room 9 and it was sublime.

Thanks everyone

I think Bali might be the obvious option for me. I’ll save the real remote places for another dedicated dive vacation I think.

what are the ‘must see’ sites in Bali?

Assuming you mean dive sites, I'll give mine and then Luko and others will come in and correct me. LOL

I like the 3 dive day that includes the manta dive, followed by Crystal Bay where if lucky one sees mola mola, followed by SD Point. To me, SD is a stunning drift dive that I could do all day long.

Others will chime in with Liberty wreck but for some reason, I don't share the love. Perhaps I need to dive it a few more times.

Assuming you mean dive sites, I'll give mine and then Luko and others will come in and correct me. LOL

I like the 3 dive day that includes the manta dive, followed by Crystal Bay where if lucky one sees mola mola, followed by SD Point. To me, SD is a stunning drift dive that I could do all day long.

Others will chime in with Liberty wreck but for some reason, I don't share the love. Perhaps I need to dive it a few more times.
I'm Cooomiiiiiiing ! :p

Talking about dive sites in Bali :
Nusa Penida is a must do, october would still be in season for Molamola. Plan 2 full day trips because it's personal but I wouldn't like to dive Crystal bay after Manta Point/bay in peak season. They'd need 2 different trips.
IMHO Crystal needs to be dived before the crowds come in, otherwise all the beauty and the opportunities would surely be concealed by the herds of divers and a curtain of bubbles. Try a dive operation that proposes CB early morning (I know Geko does sometimes).
I like SD too (btw I dived SD for the first time left shoulder east to west, it was waaaay better than the usual dive starting from the westerner point, I agree it is a great dive), that said I still put Toyapakeh on the top of my list. try to bundle Crystal bay, Toyapakeh, Manta Point and SD in 2 days so you'll get the best of Nusa Penida.

The Liberty is a must dive, even though I don't dive it anymore, it's still one of the most colorful wreck I ever dived.
If you're interested in macro and small critters, Tulamben is one of the best places in SEA for that kind of sport. Trust me : if you don't, go and check out my Flickr galleries.

If you have a couple of days more, you may try a day in Padang Bai diving Gili Tepekong or Gili Mimpang for additional Mola Mola opprtunities, otherwise add some more Tulamben macro there are so may macro sites or if you are not sold, then Amed has some "wide angle" sites worthwhle like the Japanese wreck (which is fact is worth for its coral garden not so much for the wreck) or the Bunutan drift for big gorgonians. (Make sure you don't go diving beginner sites like Jemeluk) .

That means either staying at two places : Padang bai and Tulamben or only in Padang Bai but then you would miss the best sites of Tulamben.
Don't be afraid traveling Bali even solo, you will be always safe providing you stay out of Kuta area where minor drinking/drug bothers, touting or tourist scamming may happen. It's very easy to travel from one place to another, even with partially packed cases thrown into the trunk of a car. You will find anywhere a driver willing to transport you in a comfortable car, just ask around (restaurant, convenience shop, etc.) .

Luko is right, of course. Next time I will try to get to mola mola early. We were the first group each time but even in my own group there was an idiot to scare one away. Even so, mola mola an amazing creature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom