Issues with hydro retesting of galvanized steel tanks/cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all good info, I’m going to contact my LDS as well and ask if they have had any issues with this with the company they use for hydros.

Have two of these going in soon. Going to try to talk to them in advance about the test procedure and going to tape a copy of the testing procedure to each tank. Fingers crossed...
You have them on approval. No skin off your nose. Can't lose.

I'll buy back any tank that fails for the price you paid me. Just get the failed tank back. I'll pick it up next time I'm in DC.

I used to have a stellar trader rating on SB but since they migrated to Xenforo, we are all just 'buy/sell' monkeys. I'm not a business, just an old diver with a lot of stuff that I don't like to see sitting around and underappreciated...

I'll buy back any tank that fails for the price you paid me. Just get the failed tank back. I'll pick it up next time I'm in DC.

I used to have a stellar trader rating on SB but since they migrated to Xenforo, we are all just 'buy/sell' monkeys. I'm not a business, just an old diver with a lot of stuff that I don't like to see sitting around and underappreciated...

Ha, thanks, it’s actually another set I have that’s due, the tanks I got from you are still in hydro for a year or so I believe. Should be diving them next weekend so I’ll let you know what I think of them, I think they’ll trim out just fine.

Stand-up seller you are though, that’s for sure. Thanks again!

This ^^^

Take directly to the hydro shop and ask some thinly veiled questions like "I heard about this 'round-out' pretest procedure these tanks supposedly require? Can you tell me what that is and how it works?"

Play dumb and see if they know what they are talking about, give you a blank stare, or just start spewing gas industry nonsense.

I once traded an out-of-date AL50 for a freshly-hydroed galvanized steel 72 at a dive shop. I offered to pay for the hydro but the owner said "not necessary." It was right about then that I learned how much of a mark-up dive shops have on hydro tests :wink:

I have heard that the hot dip galvanizing is the issue, the painted Fabers of recent years haven't had issues. The "new" Faber hot dipped tanks likely haven't needed a hydro yet, wonder if they will need same test procedure when they start becoming due?

No.... To put it in simple terms, the issue with HDG (then) is that is really is a "shell", and acts independently (to some extent) with the steel body. This is unlike paint. This was how it was explained to me by the staff at Faber/Blue Steel.

The new HDG Faber 3442 psi tanks are not appearing to be exhibiting this characteristic.

The answer to my question is probably the obvious one, but when buying used, are the painted Faber's the tanks actually painted white/black? Currently thinking about buying a set of white LP 85 to double up, and just wanted to make sure I knew the difference between HDG and painted...

...are the painted Faber's the tanks actually painted white/black?

I've always seen them white. Black and white is a European convention, so check the tank makings and make sure it's DOT before you buy.

Bob

I've always seen them white. Black and white is a European convention, so check the tank makings and make sure it's DOT before you buy.

Bob

Ah, good to know. Thank you! These are all white, but another pair for sale was all black. They weren't there color-coded banded ones like the EU has, but I remember now coming across an all white tank for sale a couple years ago, without a burst valve. I'll make sure I see DOT before purchasing

anyone know the round out procedure if scubaa tank fail when being hydro tested.I saw they can rehydro the tank someplace !

Back
Top Bottom