Container to take car smart key fob down with me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never ever take a smart key diving with you !
SDM

Words to Dive by!

Get a Ford with a keyless entry system on the door, and leave your keys in the center console nice and dry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Get a Ford with a keyless entry system on the door, and leave your keys in the center console nice and dry.

A Ford? Really? They steal those? No, really? Around here people just leave 'em running outside the stop-n-rob.

How much to add one to a Chevy?

Some cars for some reason shield the FOB signal if you place it behind the fuel cover plate. So pop your fuel cover, take the valet key out of the FOB with you, and secure the FOB behind the fuel cover.

If you can't find your valet key in your FOB, look in the car manual or search a youtube video.
Most FOBS have one hidden inside.

If you car door doesn't have a keyhole, here's a hint, it's hidden behind a plastic plate that you can unhinge with the valet key.

I can confirm the 2017 Prius is this way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I66JEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works extremely well for me. It's discreet, with a rubber cap that just looks like any other hitch cover. A nice ancillary benefit is earning some favor among other divers in the group by letting them all lock their keys in my car - as a new diver it's nice to be able to help others even in some little way like this. Plus of course. keeping the combination in my head helps ensure they get me back to shore alive :)

You'll need to add a faraday bag for your keyless fob. They're $15-ish. I don't need one so can't vouch for any particular model.

Bought one of these for PLB and am quite happy with it:

CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. | eBay

Possibly not the most cost effective, but the thing is purpose built and very robust (including very thick threads and O-ring). Rated to 70m.

Default contents are:
- PLB1 in buoyant holster
- Backup whistle
- Mirror
- Small Space Blanket (it comes with the canister)

I'm using it on Bonaire right now and have added (with space to spare):
- Credit card
- Drivers License
- $50 or so
- Car Key; Condo Key; Dive Locker Key

Locking biner to back left of my waist strap and barely notice it's there.

It does come with a nylon belt pocket that is junk (it was serving as my backup mask pocket but didn't even make it 30 dives)

Very interesting ---

I hope it is very securely attached to your waist -- for if lost or flooded
there goes your :
- Credit card
- Drivers License
- $50 or so
- Car Key; Condo Key; Dive Locker Key

SDM

I hope it is very securely attached to your waist -- for if lost or flooded SDM

The device does have a hole molded into it but I do wish they'd put two and a bit bigger. I've done knotted 1100lb paracord plus a redundant zip tie to the biner and the lock on the biner takes some real effort to disengage even intentionally. It would take a huge amount of force for it to pull off - enough to notice - and it is positively buoyant so one could try to watch/chase it were this the case. In retrospect, I do wish they had a high-vis colour option but the odds of if coming off are sufficiently low (now that I've added the zip tie) that I'm not too worried. It was bought primarily for the PLB - it just seemed a convenient way to solve Bonaire logistics too.

As for flooding, the only thing to really suffer would be the car key and possibly the PLB. The closure and o-ring design is pretty well thought out. I'd trust it as much as any of my lights and camera stuff and the consequences are measurably cheaper than any of those getting flooded.

Of course if they would let us invite those found repeatedly to be engaged in petty theft/vandalism to be honoured guests at shark feed dives this problem - and the workarounds it entails - would be eliminated....

keeping the combination in my head helps ensure they get me back to shore alive :).

If you're going to be storing other diver's stuff in your hitch lock, especially their car keys, it would not be unreasonable to share the combination with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom