Does Stupidity Have Consequences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I went diving this weekend, and came home and set my tank with regs still attached out on the patio and sprayed it all down (while pressurized). Then, I filled my bathtub and plopped the masks, computer, BC, etc. in there to soak a bit. Then, out of stupidity, I dropped my regs in there too. When I realized I shouldn't have done that on account of the first stage being underwater, I pulled them out. My dive shop says it might be possible if it's fresh water in the tub to blow it all out with the tank, through the second stages, and not have problems, but they'd also be willing to have their tech tear the Atomics down. I'm hoping for a second opinion on what I should do?

take all hoses off and all port plugs out. Take outside since it'll make a mess with any dust or anything. Wearing ear protection since it will be hideously loud, put it on a tank and open for 10 ish seconds. That will blow most everything out.
Put the regulators and inflator hose on, then put the port plugs back in on the LP side and repeat, purging the second stages a couple times.
Put the HP port plug back in, and the HP hose, but not the SPG back on, and repeat. Hold the HP hose while you're doing this with one hand because it will blow around everywhere, but you need to take the SPG off because if there is any moisture in the HP hose, you need to blow it out before it gets in the bourdon tube or you risk destroying the spg.
Put the SPG on and repeat one last time. This time make sure you purge-cycle the second stages until you see no moisture coming out of them, and hook the inflator hose up to the BCD and purge that a few times.

That will clear the first stage out, then clean the hoses out, and that's about all the LDS can do other than a full service. I will say you want to do this ASAP. Also make sure you have an IP gauge, because the final step is to make sure the IP is still in spec and stable. If not, it needs service. If so, then that's about it until it starts creeping and needs service in however many years

Did you have the dust cover/DIN cap installed - in other words, are you sure water made it into the first stage?

Personally, I'd have the first stage serviced, especially if I had several salt water dives on it. It's not uncommon to get a little bit of this or that into your first stage in the normal course of things. If you really soaked them, even in freshwater, you could end up with a mess in there as things already in there get spread around. I probably would not worry about the second stages.

If you do decide to blow it out, remove all the hoses and port plugs and blow with only the first stage on the bottle. Then reinstall the port plugs and hoses, but without second stages or SPG and blow again to clear the hoses. Then reinstall the 2nd stages and blow a little with out an SPG, then put the SPG back on. No sense blowing water from the first stage down the hoses into the second stages and SPG.

Then reinstall the port plugs and hoses, but without second stages or SPG and blow again to clear the hoses. Then reinstall the 2nd stages and blow a little with out an SPG, then put the SPG back on. No sense blowing water from the first stage down the hoses into the second stages and SPG.

I usually leave the second stages on and blow through them. Won't damage them and the hoses can get a little unwieldy when you open them up, doesn't really matter though

Thanks! Will do. What is best to do with a transmitter pod in this process? It’s irrelevant to the process that it’s DIN, correct? I’m going to have to start some chocolate chip cookies baking first, so that I calm myself during this mess!

Most likely it’s fine, do what Tbone said (I would leave the hoses on to blow those dry too but one at a time unless you like fighting metal tipped snakes) to be sure, let things dry and check IP and if ok, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it but you may feel the need for precaution. I service my own regs and actually did a wet test of an Atomic just to see what would happen, long term it seems there is little harm but you have to decide that for yourself.

Thanks! Will do. What is best to do with a transmitter pod in this process? It’s irrelevant to the process that it’s DIN, correct? I’m going to have to start some chocolate chip cookies baking first, so that I calm myself during this mess!

just remove transmitter. Those are solid state, so just treat it as the SPG.

Is it a diaphragm reg, or piston?
Some diaphragms won't handle a big slug of water very well. If a diaphragm, make sure your second stage purge button is depressed when you first pressurize the tank. Better still, if a diaphragm, do it with no regs or hoses on the first stage.

Is it a diaphragm reg, or piston?
Some diaphragms won't handle a big slug of water very well. If a diaphragm, make sure your second stage purge button is depressed when you first pressurize the tank. Better still, if a diaphragm, do it with no regs or hoses on the first stage.
It's an atomic, so it really doesn't matter, he got water up the seat saver. Would have whether the dust cap was on or off.

But you know this...... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom