Container to take car smart key fob down with me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I discovered that my fob is shielded when inside a small metal box. Give it a try.

Or wrap it in tin foil....

The idea is it would be shielded by a metal lock box. I have to use a lock box because the key to my Sprinter van has a tiny wireless circuit in it that would be toast in salt water. This "feature" could also be built into some of the mechanical keys in some manufacturers fobs.

Or maybe I will try to make a dumb key to unlock my doors and try putting the fob in the glove box wrapped in tin foil.

Where can I go to get a dumb key made? 2016 Toyota Rav4. There is a little dumb key inside the FOB. Where can I get it copied?

You can use Altoids tin for faraday cage. A locksmith can make dumb key if it’s a standard blank. Many dealerships contract out the key making (dumb or smart) to one anyway.

Or maybe I will try to make a dumb key to unlock my doors and try putting the fob in the glove box wrapped in tin foil.

Where can I go to get a dumb key made? 2016 Toyota Rav4. There is a little dumb key inside the FOB. Where can I get it copied?
With the 2017 RAV4 the removal of the dumb key allows the fob to remain in the car. You just manually lock the doors with the dumb key.

gopro housing. mine is rated to 185' and was only $10

Try a waterproof camera case, sold on ebay.

There have been past threads on this, one not too long ago, so I didn't read all the posts. Everyone has a solution to a problem I consider unsolvable. I hide my key under a rock here in NS and in a metal box in the wheel well when in NY area (make sure no one is watching, IF that's possible).
I would never take any chip key into water. Period. I've LOST two of these f(&^%$g things and am out over $500US as a result (FOUND the 2nd one I lost and got no refund from Chrysler for the $260US copy they made for me, because they "Can't delete the programming--it's yours forever, now you have THREE keys"...)
Need the good old metal key and the 5 copies you get made for $1.50 each at the hardware store. And oh, you can take a copy with you on a dive--without any compartment to keep it dry.

OK,now I know you're targeting me....LOL

You found that info on the internet, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom