Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An
If I recall, you sign the paperwork at boarding when you look up your assigned bunk. Not sure if they leave them at port or take them with them. Same procedure as with all other SoCal boats I have been on so far.

And covered above, the boat is 20 feet from the truth shop/office. I would think they put them in the office prior to leaving

So we have an anchored boat and a boat underway, you seem to imply the onus is on the anchored vessel rather than the vessel underway?

Thanks for the question,

No, in the maritime world there is usually no 100% fault for a single party in most collisions at sea. While the anchor watch/nav watch on an anchored vessel would probably be cleared of any culpability, he/she must take all action to avoid collision.

In the case of an anchored vessel, about the only thing that an anchor watch person could do is ensure the anchor lights are on, the day shape is positioned, and sound signals are being used in restricted visibility. Next they would sound the danger signal and hail the approaching vessel on VHF channel 16.

Nothing more the crew of the anchored vessel can do. They cannot maneuver.

Rule 16 defines the action of the "Give-way Vessel".

Rule 17 defines the action of the "Stand-on Vessel".

Paraphrase: The Stand-on vessel...so close that a collision with the "Give-way Vessel" cannot be avoided by action of the "Give-way Vessel" alone, shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

The master and/or mate who has the conn must avoid collision even if they are the "Stand-on Vessel."

Again, an anchored vessel can't maneuver, a vessel not under command cannot maneuver, a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver may not be able to avoid collision, and a vessel aground cannot maneuver (Duh!). Rule 9 is for deep draft vessels or other vessels who can only navigate in a narrow channel or fairway. Not much these vessels can do except make an attempt to stop. They don't stop well.

The point is, a vessel at anchor must follow the rules if they don't want culpability in a collision.

markm

crew or prospective crew will need training in first aid, cpr, firefighting and watchstanding among a lot of other things. You’ll be certified by CG to work commercial vessels after completing X amount of classroom and at sea training or you won’t be able to work.

In other words - for tips only, why invest in the certification? For DM’s working for 70-80 bucks a day and seeing the skills and fitness levels of vacation divers diving California waters - no thanks. Too much risk. Boat owners are just breaking even now. There’s nothing left but the tip jar for everyone else. What a deal.

Hopefully uncalled for but necessary step to preserve evidence if it exists.

This should have happened much sooner if it were to be truly effective. If I had to guess, the owners have probably been an open book and this is just part of the dance. Had they not been cooperative, warrants would have likely been executed very soon after the accident, or when they lawyered up or denied info.

Of course, my question is based on required watch, is the stationary vessel required to have seen the moving vessel? Of course if the anchor watch sees an oncoming collision hazard they would be obligated to sound the alarm.

I hope you and Wookie don't mind me answering your question.

Rule 5:
"Every Vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and the risk of collision."

As I have stated before I am a has-been; a former professional mariner.

Things change; however, I am not aware of a waiver to Rule 5 for anchored vessels in the International Rules of the Road.

Therefore, a competent anchor watch mate should hear or possibly see by vision or interpret for sure by radar, that an approaching vessel may cause a collision.

Conception is a small vessel. It is only about 75 or 80 feet. A lone mate while following Rule 5, should be able to detect smoke, heat, or fire relatively quickly. Did the fire propagate to an inferno in less than a minute? I don't know.

markm

I do not know much about boat construction and regulations in the field, so this is quite educational for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom