XDeep Zeos vs Ghost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emaj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I am looking to transition from a jacket style BCD to BP&W. I have been using the Cressi Travelight for sometime, and it is very lightweight. However, I am uncomfortable with how constricting it can be when inflated. Thus, I am looking to shift to BP&W style. I tried a friend's Dive Rite Travelpac last week and was quite impressed. The main downside of that model though is that it is not modular and therefore does not offer the user any flexibility to modify. I am not sure if it can really be called a BP&W. After doing some research, I have identified two models from XDeep that may be a good fit for my needs and requirements: XDeep Ghost and XDeep Zeos. After looking at the specs of both and trying to gather some online feedback, it seems that the only real advantage of the Ghost is the light weight - just 2.2 kg with the standard harness, compared to 3kg for the Zeos with Aluminum backplate. Unfortunately, I am currently living in an area where it is quite difficult to find a dealer or location where I can test out the equipment.

I'm a recreational diver about to begin the Rescue course. I currently only do single tank dives. Most of my diving is in warmer salt water: 23-30 deg C. Many destinations require travel by plane, although I usually check most of my dive gear. I'm normally wearing a 3mm wetsuit or less. With the 3mm, I carry 4kg in the pockets of my BCD. I am leaning toward the XDeep Ghost standard setup with two L trim pockets that can hold up tp 3kg each. I prefer a minimalist setup, and I think the above would be right for diving in a 3mm or or just a rashguard and board shorts.

I would really appreciate if some of the more seasoned divers here could share their thoughts and personal experience with the XDeep products.

Cheers!

I have used the xDeep Zen since my 5th dive and never looked back. Also I'm looking to get a NX Project for doubles when the time comes. I had looked at the ghost but determined that I was not going to travel by plane as much as I preferred to have it a little more robust. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it should I start to travel more and need to lighten up the load. Unfortunately I do not have experience with the two models you mentioned.

If you have questions then pick up the phone and call Tec Dive Gear. I believe it is the US distributor. Sebastian has been very responsive on all my questions usually providing information that was useful that I did not know I didn't know.

I would really appreciate if some of the more seasoned divers here could share their thoughts and personal experience with the XDeep products.

Can't talk to the Ghost/Zeos, but in general they make great products. My experience is from the Hydros wing, and Stealth SM rigs; high quality and robust gear for sure.

We are an xDeep dealer. The Zeos is conventional technology, Your comparison should really be between the Ghost and the Zen. We have sold both the Zen and the Ghost.

What some people don’t realize is that the zen plate is very heavy. The zen bladder is also two piece, so it is more easily repairable than the single piece Ghost. Most people who buy the Ghost do so because it is much easier to pack and carry than the Zen.

If you are about to take rescue and since it sounds like you will not be any tec diving, make sure you get the deluxe harness with the adjustable straps and quick release.

What is the difference between the zen aluminum and stainless backplates in water? I'm at the point where I wish I had ordered the aluminum one. On a side note, any idea when you'll have in stock the frameless mask from xDeep?

Xdeep make great products but if i had one complaint about the Ghost it would be the ridiculous location of the bottom dump valve.

My friend has one and gave it to me so i can try it out , i found that in order to dump some air through your bottom dump while in Trim you would have to go into a pretty steep position and "play around" with it until you can get everything out. and even then its still quite a hassle. My friend seems to think the same.

Its also positioned slightly to the side for reasons i do not know.

Cant say anything about the Zeos, i have never tried diving it.

For the Zen there is definitely a technique to dumping gas. First I was out of trim and the rear dump wasn't highest point or remotely so. Second was grabbing the dump string and rolling up to push on the wing depending on how much air was in it. Maybe someone else can chime in for the Ghost.

the bladder on both the zeos and ghost is wide and flappy and overly large for what is needed for warm water travel. the 20lb deep 6 is a light and quick drying travel option. 18lb vdh/oxycheq/apeks would be heavier duty. combine them with an aluminum plate or SS travel plate.

the 30lb dgx is also another budget friendly option.

I didn't realize the Ghost had 37.4 lbs of lift. (17kg)

I have the deluxe version of the Ghost and can't be more pleased with it. I dive a 2mm shorty and have the xdeep pockets installed and use 2 lbs in each.
I do not have any issue using the rear dump valve while in trim. I just reach back, hold the string near the valve, pull and feel the bubbles pass over my fingers. Maybe I do rotate slightly to the right while doing it. As I this is the 1st BP/W styled I've dived, I have no comparison though, so can just say it isn't an issue for me.
I also don't find the wing flappy.
The deluxe version comes with neutrally buoyant padding on the shoulder straps and quick release buckles. I find the padding nice to have, but don't use the quick release right now. The plus with having the quick release is it makes the straps easy to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom