burst disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WHM
i did mention that the valve was a Thermo brand, i believe a "thermo pro", the tank is stamped xs scuba.
i mentioned that the working pressure sticker was 2400 psi, the burst disk 4000.
i mentioned that the stamped/engraved pressure was 230 bar (3335 psi).
the valve has a removable spin out din insert, my regs are SP mk17 yoke.
if i can figure out how to post pics, i'll do that, i took/have the pics just can't figure out how to attach...
seems like i have to post a link to attach pics ????.
hope the above helps.....thanks.

I think we are saying the same. parts are the same OTHER THAN the burst disk. If you go and buy a valve you buy one of a style and you say what disk you want in it. The valve body of a 2400 valve is the same as a 3000 valve. Only the installed burst disk is different. As far as being stamped with a service marking ..... NOt a one of my valves are marked with a working pressure. If you buy a burst disk it comes with a sticker ( from some suppliers) with the associated working pressure for that disk. Any valves I have bought was marked with a removable sticker on it so you can change burst disks if used on a different tank. I have also bought tank valve rebuild kits and none of them have pressure ratings unless they have the burst disk in the kit. I saw last week a molded marking of working pressure on a very very old valve. I have not seen any permanent pressure marking on any new valves. I have been undrer the4 understanding that a low pressure valve is a low pressure valve. Is not a 3442 valve in the low pressure valve catagory? Or is the upper limit 3300. I dont know because i dont use so called HP tanks . all of mine are lp tanks. If 3442 is a hp tank then it would use a different designed valve. The valve for a 3000 and a 2400 ( as far as I know) is the same valve with different burst disks in them. As high and low pressure tanks and valves go Wasnt there a problem with the 3500 psi tanks as far as whether they were HP or LP tanks years ago and they changed the tank to a 3442 to avoid the question of tank catagory? I would also highly suspect that if there was a special HP valve needed that the tank would be threaded differently to prevent the lower pressure valve from being put in. I would reddily concede that a 3442 valve is not the same if it had a different thread on it. Again I dont use HP tanks and that 2400 tanks use the exact same valve that a 3000 tank does, ignoring the installed burst disk being the difference.

Additional info I use DIN valves. if it is a hi pressure din you can not put in a adaptor (screw in) and it is called a 300 bar din max 300 bar use. but the ones with a screw in adaptor is called a 200 bar din. I again am assuming that the 200 bar means nothing but to sy LP valve which again I have to ask where is the line between LP and HP.

KWS...

The primary difference between a 200 BAR DIN valve with a yoke conversion plug...and a 300 BAR DIN valve is the 300 BAR DIN valve has a deeper thread pocket...allowing the DIN 1st stage reg to thread in a couple of threads deeper...''more thread capture...more strength''...

WHM
i did mention that the valve was a Thermo brand, i believe a "thermo pro", the tank is stamped xs scuba.
i mentioned that the working pressure sticker was 2400 psi, the burst disk 4000.
i mentioned that the stamped/engraved pressure was 230 bar (3335 psi).
the valve has a removable spin out din insert, my regs are SP mk17 yoke.
if i can figure out how to post pics, i'll do that, i took/have the pics just can't figure out how to attach...
seems like i have to post a link to attach pics ????.
hope the above helps.....thanks.

No need...230 BAR is not 3400...it's 3335 as you stated...you're outside the envelope...that the manufacturer would likely call a ''safety factor''...it may be splitting hairs...but it's still outside the envelope...and only the manufacturer can authorize use above 230 BAR...and they will not...

A burst disc for a HP cylinder...3442 PSI...will have a 5250 PSI burst disc...

Best...

W...

KWS...

The primary difference between a 200 BAR DIN valve with a yoke conversion plug...and a 300 BAR DIN valve is the 300 BAR DIN valve has a deeper thread pocket...allowing the DIN 1st stage reg to thread in a couple of threads deeper...''more thread capture...more strength''...

I agree My point was that even if they call it a 200 bar valve it does not mean it is for a 200 bar tank and a 300 bar does not mean it is for a 300 bar tank. If 3500 psi tank was a high pressure tank them properly it should have a 300 bar valve with the correct burst disk in it for a 3500 psi tank. It appears that out imperial marked pressures dont mean the same as metric marked ones. Even with that you can put a 300 bar valve in any tank it will thread onto. If you put it on a 2400 psi tank it will work and work properly for that application if the correct burst disk is installed. Again I am not aware of any thread difference in a 200 vs 300 bar valve other than the construction differences in the regulator seating in it. A lp reg can work on a 200 or 300 valve and a hp reg din can only work on a 300 valve. The 200 din reg has a nipple on it that prevents it from seating on a 300 din valve even if the threads were long enough. The 300 bar valve has deeper threads so that if you try to use teh yoke adaptor it will not seat on both the valve and the reg. If I remember right there is also a vent in the 300 bar valve near the bottom of the threads and if you put a yoke adaptor where the reg would seat the tank would vent from that hole to prevent IE 4500 pressure being put on a LP yoke.

KWS...

200 bar DIN has 5 threads, 300 bar DIN has 7 threads

Back
Top Bottom