Cleaning the First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I want to clean my first stage, remove all this white thing you have in the reg after diving . what kind of product can I use to clean it.

I would use the equipment technician at my local dive shop.

Scott

While it is assembled, nothing should go in that 1st stage but breathing gas. It is not clear what you are trying to remove or where you want to remove it from.

Then please feel free to soak your first stage in warm (not hot) water with the purge valve closed. Some First stages have a device that depresses the purge valve and you want this OFF!!! You can soak it for a long time, but if it takes more than 2 hours, you will need to have professionally serviced. It's time for a disassembly and a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Juan, if you are seeing "white stuff", perhaps you have already disassembled the regulator? Anyway, you might need to do so. Soak the parts in a solution of 50/50 white vinegar and water. Rinse, replace the O rings, including the tiny ring inside the balance chamber or piston stem guide. Check the other soft parts including the seat. Reassemble. If the problem is just the first stage spring and nut, you can remove the Conshelf spring adjustment screw with a coin, and remove the nut with a wrench. You may need to attach a vice grip to the coin to assist turning. If you don't remove the screw the threads will continue to corrode until they freeze. Make a mark on the regulator body and carefully note the exact number of turns that are required to remove the spring adjustment screw. Then, use a wrench to remove the nut which holds the screw. Clean and smear every thing with silicone grease.

Back
Top Bottom