CoCo View or Anthony’s Key?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, thats where i got the number of dives offered and included. Three a day,

Guess you’ve changed my thinking. Must look at the websites more and dive less.

Thanks

Exactly. Three boat dives a day for 6 days plus two boat night dives for a total of 20 boat dives.

Exactly. Three boat dives a day for 6 days plus two boat night dives for a total of 20 boat dives.

So I still don't get it...

CCV = $1861 divided by 27 dives - when I went in April - I dove 27 dives that week = $69 per dive.

AK = $1556 divided by 20 dives - if you dive all of the dives and dont skip one = $78 per dive.

Am I missing something? :)
I could have dove more but some night dives were cancelled due to the weather - no boat dives were cancelled.
YMMV

CCV = $1861 divided by 27 dives - when I went in April - I dove 27 dives that week = $69 per dive.

AK = $1556 divided by 20 dives - if you dive all of the dives and dont skip one = $78 per dive.

I could have dove more but some night dives were cancelled due to the weather - no boat dives were cancelled.
YMMV

No one is missing anything lol. It’s clear that if you’re the kind of diver who will do 4-5 dives a day, CCV is less expensive, on a per dive basis. If you’re the kind of diver who will do only 3 dives (approx) or less, AKR is less expensive.

All this comparing and contrasting, I’ve now got the urge to do both resorts, just to see which one is a better fit for me. :wink:

YMMV

Yes, you are missing something as there is no true dive count. You dove 27 dives. Could you have made 30? Could you have made 15? That would change the numbers. At AK a person could only do the 20 scheduled boat dives or they could do 25 or 30 dives. Did you have shore dives in your 27 dives? Could a person do shore dives at AK to get to 27 dives?

All this comparing and contrasting, I’ve now got the urge to do both resorts, just to see which one is a better fit for me. :wink:

You should do that, especially if you could get two weeks off and save on plane fare.

I take a lot of groups on dive trips and we have done both resorts. We did them a few years apart. I always kind of survey folks after trips like that to see what they are thinking in case we want to do a return trip. It was unanimous on our part that we thought the overall experience at AKR was superior to CCV. Why? Folks agreed that the food was better at AKR. Neither resort had great food but definitely better at AKR. People liked the fact that AKR had a nice large pool area to relax when you were not diving. Some folks on our trips are not hard core gotta get in 4 to 5 dives a day so they loved the pool area. No real winner when it came to rooms. We stayed at the better rooms at both resorts and they were liked equally for the most part. And finally people thought the diving at AKR was more varied and overall a better dive experience. Every trip out was to a different dive site with AKR. With CCV, you will do 12 different dive sites and after that all the remaining dives are in front of the resort. Nothing wrong with that if you like doing the same sites over and over. I was OK with it for the first couple of days at CCV but after that is just became too repetitive for my taste. Now CCV won when it came to which resort had the better shore dive. No doubt about that.

I know for a fact that my folks would go back to AKR in a minute. I could fill a trip like that almost overnight. Some folks would return to CCV as well but given a choice, AKR it is.

You should do that, especially if you could get two weeks off and save on plane fare.

I take a lot of groups on dive trips and we have done both resorts. We did them a few years apart. I always kind of survey folks after trips like that to see what they are thinking in case we want to do a return trip. It was unanimous on our part that we thought the overall experience at AKR was superior to CCV. Why? Folks agreed that the food was better at AKR. Neither resort had great food but definitely better at AKR. People liked the fact that AKR had a nice large pool area to relax when you were not diving. Some folks on our trips are not hard core gotta get in 4 to 5 dives a day so they loved the pool area. No real winner when it came to rooms. We stayed at the better rooms at both resorts and they were liked equally for the most part. And finally people thought the diving at AKR was more varied and overall a better dive experience. Every trip out was to a different dive site with AKR. With CCV, you will do 12 different dive sites and after that all the remaining dives are in front of the resort. Nothing wrong with that if you like doing the same sites over and over. I was OK with it for the first couple of days at CCV but after that is just became too repetitive for my taste. Now CCV won when it came to which resort had the better shore dive. No doubt about that.

I know for a fact that my folks would go back to AKR in a minute. I could fill a trip like that almost overnight. Some folks would return to CCV as well but given a choice, AKR it is.

I actually cancelled a trip to Tubbataha because I didn’t think I could handle 4 dives a day, and thought I’d be “wasting” the trip. Realistically, I’m more of a two dives a day kind of diver. I’m interested in CCV because of the shore dive - I just love protected, low current, slow shallow dives in the sunshine. But come to think about it, after the two boat dives plus two drop-off dives at CCV, it’s unlikely I would want to fit another dive in. So in terms of dive count, AKR is a better fit for us.

At the end of the day, I think either would be good for us, and I’d likely make my choice based on the strength and reliability of the wifi. Both my husband and I have the kind of work that requires us to be accessible even while on vacation.

So... if anyone can tell us about how the wifi compares at both resorts, that would be helpful! We don’t need to stream movies but do need access to voice calls, email and internet.

Post script: I’m not doing a two week trip unless it’s SE Asia or Red Sea lol. The Caribbean is attractive because it’s a one week trip. :p

I remember having WiFi in both but can’t remember if one was better than the other.

YMMV

You're counting boat and shore dives for CCV but only boat dives for AKR. You could also add an afternoon shore dive to get to 26, if you have the energy. Now that makes it $60 per dive.

However, this was a comparison on price and AKR is clearly $500 per couple cheaper. Whether one thinks the rooms or dives or anything else makes CCV worth the extra $500 is another issue. And I would bet 90% of customers at either location do far less than 20 dives per week.

I used to be a 4-5 dives a day multi day diver. I’ve now settled into 2-3 dives a day. 3 is perfect if I’m staying somewhere where all I have to do is walk down to the boat at the dock and 2 if I have to travel any distance at all. I like having time to relax in the evenings, go through my photos and be clean for a few hours.

I would never take a non diving person to CCV. I’m sorry but there just isn’t much for them to do there but read a book, play on the internet or bake in the hot sun on the limited walkway deck area. No pool so cooling off would be a dip in the ocean.

We’ve been to CCV a few times and their set up is the best I’ve seen but as I’ve gotten a little older and more dives in, my dive style has changed. We stayed at Media Luna last time and I enjoyed the 3 boat dives to 3 different sites. Shore diving was also available during dive shop hours but I found 3 dives and then hanging out was enough for me.

When we go back to Roatan, if the flight prices ever come back down, we’ll most likely stay at Turquoise Bay and try the north shore diving for something new.

Back
Top Bottom