Baja dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool thanks everyone especially on insurance did not realize! Any pointers on Guerrero Negro diving? Thanks again!

Since you (OP) also mentioned the Pacific side, you might want to stop somewhere that offers dives at Los Coronados, perhaps from Tijuana or Rosarito. That's the place that is responsible for getting me interested in diving when I was 11. My next-door neighbor at the time was a spearfisherman and he and his buddies took me and my dad out there. They handed me a little speargun (that I couldn't even load by myself) and told me that if any sharks bothered me just poke them in the nose and they'd go away. I was instantly hooked on the underwater world as soon as I jumped in. Lots of sea lions and, of course, sharks. At least at that time (55 years ago).
Love the story!

@nofinsdiver
Any pointers on Guerrero Negro diving? Thanks again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Like all Baja it is ever changing
There was diving in the bay -- shell fish and spearing small fish
( must have a Mexican license for spearing- and only rubber powered guns )

The island was great ! But that was years ago...huge lobsters and fish
Need a boat -- I suspect you can find a fisherman to take you

Guerrero Negro area had a large English operation there for many years-- it is interesting walking through the cemetery abd reading all the English names-- so out of place with todays world.

SDM

Whale sharks are at Bahia de los Angeles now. Ricardo's Diving Tours (a local Bahia de los Angeles shop) can get you into whale sharks and to some really great dive sites.

-AZTinman
Am not able to contact Ricardo by phone! He replied to my e-mail once, but that is it...! Also payment is cash only? Which is what lodging establishments are telling me. Any idea how much it costs w Ricardo's to dive, will need complete scuba rentals for the three of us... Thanks!

There are other places to stay in Bahia de los Angeles, but we use this one:

www.villabahia.com

It's what we jokingly call 'Mexican Rustic', but it works well for us. Arrangements can be made to have the people who run the place provide you with meals in addition to rooms. The family cooks excellent meals.

The 'resort' people may be able to help you contact Ricardo as well. Ricardo does diver pick ups right on the beach at the resort. Ricardo Diving Tours does have a Facebook page. You might want to see if you get any response from him through the contact stuff on Facebook.

I'll check to see if there's another way to get ahold of Ricardo.

This is one of those remote places in Mexico where cell phone and internet coverage can be spotty. Businesses prefer payment in cash. This is especially true where card reader machine service can be unreliable.

-AZTinman

I checked with my source for Ricardo's Diving Tours contact information. The contact information listed on Ricardo's Diving Tours Facebook page is good and should allow you to contact the business. There's also a link for his website: www.scubadivingbaja.com that has a contact link.

-AZTinman

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Discover Baja Travel Club (it's in San Diego) website has recommendations for places to stay throughout Baja, including Bahia de los Angeles. You might check out their website. Enter 'September' in the website search box and you'll find a link to their September Newsletter. There's also a good article about the ten best fall destinations. The article gives recommendations for good places to stay among other things.

-AZTinman

Back
Top Bottom