Trying to compensate for feet down trim when wearing no exposure protection and little weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watch your breathing pattern. Do not stay inhaled for longer time, instead rest exhaled. Some divers who stay inhaled for a longer time can compensate trim by moving weight higher up (not good but works), but in your case with little weight, no such workaround.
And resting with lungs empty has the added advantage that you don't have to stay down so long before you empty your tank.

You said "The idea that a diver can sit for fifteen minutes perfectly trim midwater and can maintain that is absolute BS", I offered a bet.

That diver is pretty good, I've seen better. Anyhow, take the bet or not, your call.
No problem, so long as you keep moving. If you want to stop moving everything needs to be in balance.

I have extremely heavy feet, I cant float on the surface as my feet continually sink and put me in a vertical position. While diving I use a 1.5lb ankle weight at the tank valve. I recently switched to the rk3 fins and it all clicked into place. Nearly perfect horizontal position.

LOL...this is a perfect instance of how "personal experience" can lead us all astray when dealing with individuals. I happen to know the op is a good diver. He found a nuance in his diving and enjoys "discussing" :wink: things on SB. He was also probably a bit bored with all the benign, beautiful, warm water, diving he was currently doing and would rather post on SB than go sit in the pool. I've heard a rumor he gets like that. :) It's not ALL about thumping your chest and "walking the walk." It's supposed to be fun...ooooh an SB object lesson...:bounce::bounce::bounce::)
Sure.

But you’d be wrong, I never mentioned anything about chest thumping and what I said was an observation that I shared about many divers who overthink about micro weight adjustments. No ego here, go somewhere else if you think “walking the walk” is about ego, I’m simply saying that basic ability isn’t there, even though they talk like they have some.

Sure.

But you’d be wrong, I never mentioned anything about chest thumping and what I said was an observation that I shared about many divers who overthink about micro weight adjustments. No ego here, go somewhere else if you think “walking the walk” is about ego, I’m simply saying that basic ability isn’t there, even though they talk like they have some.

LOL...You didn't mention it, you just did it. Pretty typical "many divers" comment and I just pointed out that you are wrong in this case (and probably are in many others). That's what happens when you try to pigeon-hole individuals based on your own anecdotal experience. Just dive and let dive and let others feel free to discus their nuances. Isn't that what SB's supposed to be about. As far as "go someplace else," feel free "to take the train" "cause I'm here and I'm stayin'. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

what I said was an observation that I shared about many divers who overthink about micro weight adjustments.

A diver who is in anything less than perfect trim is using some, or even a lot of movements to compensate. The closer one gets to that "perfect trim" the less movement is required, less energy expended, less gas used- and that means a longer, more comfortable dive.

To say "Oh it doesn't matter they are overthinking micro weight adjustments is spoken by a lazy person who is ok doing something half-assed. That's the difference in attitude between those who succeed and even excel in life and those who are content to sit in a cubicle all day watching the clock and collecting a paycheck from a boss who is making a heck of a lot more money than they ever will.

A diver who is in anything less than perfect trim is using some, or even a lot of movements to compensate. The closer one gets to that "perfect trim" the less movement is required, less energy expended, less gas used- and that means a longer, more comfortable dive.

To say "Oh it doesn't matter they are overthinking micro weight adjustments is spoken by a lazy person who is ok doing something half-assed. That's the difference in attitude between those who succeed and even excel in life and those who are content to sit in a cubicle all day watching the clock and collecting a paycheck from a boss who is making a heck of a lot more money than they ever will.
I know (first paragraph) but there is no word such as perfect.

(Second paragraph) Get the right gear, adjust it properly, dive it, adjust it again until it’s right. Many people overthink things. A lot. I never said weighting doesn’t matter but a half pound here and there on equipment is excessive and can be easily fixed with better diver posture.

So if my rig is weighted properly and I have decent trim, when I say that many overthink micro weighting adjustments, I’m automatically lazy and a half assed person? That sounds really Intelligent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom