Fisherman speared in face - KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In college I was on the rife team- in USAF the pistol team
Shoot ARs , 22s & Kimber 45...
So there !

Our diving heritage is so short and so clouded … many - perhaps most think diving began when they graced the UW world with their presence-- it began with spearfishing !

SDM
upload_2019-8-31_8-51-46.png

How in the "HE double-toothpicks" do you shoot yourself in the face with a 5'+ long speargun? Toe on the trigger? How does one even accidently hold a loaded speargun so it is pointed toward themselves? Only speaking from pure conjecture. I mean it's not like I accidentally shot a spear through my own foot when I was 11 years old or anything like that... :)

How in the "HE double-toothpicks" do you shoot yourself in the face with a 5'+ long speargun? Toe on the trigger? How does one even accidently hold a loaded speargun so it is pointed toward themselves? Only speaking from pure conjecture. I mean it's not like I accidentally shot a spear through my own foot when I was 11 years old or anything like that... :)

It is not as difficult as it might seem. One of the potential scenarios is when hunting under a ledge.

You are laying on the bottom with your head under the hole, you are trying to maneuver the gun around and shoot a fish in the hole, but there is little room. Since you have a much longer gun than would be optimal for this situation, you have the gun mostly sticking out of the hole and you have to reach way back to the trigger and might even try to fire with your thumb.

You have your head and shoulders wedged in the hole, the surge is pushing you back and forth, you are holding your breath, the visibility is crap because the surge going around your body and the nervous fish movements, all make the visibility terrible. You have the gun laying underneath you and the shaft is close to your throat. If the fish moves and you have to make a snap shot or the surge throws you, or an eel pops out into your face unexpectedly in bad visibility and you instinctively move the gun a little further back... you can end up pointing the gun at your chin or face.

Perhaps he set the gun down to try to catch a lobster and then the lobster shot out of the hole, he chased it around and ended up in front of his loaded gun that was originally placed in a safe position, and now it gets bumped or kicked and some piece of reef is inside the trigger guard and the gun fires.

There are other potential scenarios and there are many ways that a gun, if carelessly handled could end up pointing at your face. Spearguns are dangerous and they CAN fire all by themselves if a shaft is rusty or cracked or a mechansim fails, or the mechanism is damaged or clogged with sand when loaded and only partially loaded.

It is not as difficult as it might seem. One of the potential scenarios is when hunting under a ledge.

You are laying on the bottom with your head under the hole, you are trying to maneuver the gun around and shoot a fish in the hole, but there is little room. Since you have a much longer gun than would be optimal for this situation, you have the gun mostly sticking out of the hole and you have to reach way back to the trigger and might even try to fire with your thumb.

You have your head and shoulders wedged in the hole, the surge is pushing you back and forth, you are holding your breath, the visibility is crap because the surge going around your body and the nervous fish movements, all make the visibility terrible. You have the gun laying underneath you and the shaft is close to your throat. If the fish moves and you have to make a snap shot or the surge throws you, or an eel pops out into your face unexpectedly in bad visibility and you instinctively move the gun a little further back... you can end up pointing the gun at your chin or face.

Perhaps he set the gun down to try to catch a lobster and then the lobster shot out of the hole, he chased it around and ended up in front of his loaded gun that was originally placed in a safe position, and now it gets bumped or kicked and some piece of reef is inside the trigger guard and the gun fires.

There are other potential scenarios and there are many ways that a gun, if carelessly handled could end up pointing at your face. Spearguns are dangerous and they CAN fire all by themselves if a shaft is rusty or cracked or a mechansim fails, or the mechanism is damaged or clogged with sand when loaded and only partially loaded.

I don't disagree with any of these potential scenarios; however, I was taught to leave the safety on until the last possible moment and to maintain my gun to optimal operational status. That should alleviate most "Oops, I shot myself in the face scenarios." :) We had a guy on a trip here in California a few years ago who set his gun down (safety on) to grab a lobster. The surge threw him back, the spear tip and gun butt got caught between the reef and his rear end. We told him he was now twice the A-hole he was before. :)

I want the PADI manual and video on this man!

Take no pleasure in other peoples misery
It's what "they" do

I can't find where I read it but something like this. He had returned to shore or was in the process, he set the spear gun down on some rocks to do whatever it was that took his attention away. He hadn't put the safety on and when some waves came in, they knocked the spear gun some how that triggered it.

I can't find where I read it but something like this. He had returned to shore or was in the process, he set the spear gun down on some rocks to do whatever it was that took his attention away. He hadn't put the safety on and when some waves came in, they knocked the spear gun some how that triggered it.

Well they do shoot much better out of the water...

I was always taught to go for a head shot as it does not destroy the meat that way......

What? Too soon? :)

I do feel sorry for the poor guy. He was very very very lucky nothing vital was hit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom