Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... but I'm interested in knowing a few things about both, like what battery life is like, especially on the Teric, for those that use it as their daily watch. (If I wear it the day of a dive how fast will it charge before the dive so it doesn't die during the dive, etc.) Also, if I'm going on a trip (like to Little Cayman in January) should I take along a big Walmart sized case of AA batteries for the Perdix, or will two or three spares be good enough? I know both have capability to connect to two transmitters, and both seem to have really easy to use menus, and both have easy to read displays. I like that the Perdix isn't going to take up my whole arm with a gigantic screen, but I like the Teric's size also.

Can the Teric connect to your phone and receive texts, calls, etc.? Won't be disappointed if it doesn't as my current watch takes care of that nicely, just a nice to know.

Anything else I haven't thought of that might sway me in either direction, feel free to chime in. Like I said, I'm not going to make the decision based on what anyone says, but I'm still pretty 50/50 right now, and if anyone has anything to add that I haven't thought of, it would be appreciated.

You'll get 30 hours of Dive Mode out of the Teric's battery. Watch Mode consumes approx 1/2 of Dive Mode's rate. An in depth battery info thread is here: The Teric's Battery Performance.

It has two charge modes. I use the standard one only and that takes ~3hours ... I think the manual has an accurate # in it.

I dive 4-5 days with my Teric then charge it. I don't use it as a watch. If you use it as a watch and dive, expect 2-3 days depending on hours of watch use / dive mode time (red high draining things like compass displayed.... and even which colour / mode you use has an impact ....

As of yet the Teric doesn't do notifications, it's a requested feature.

There's a few Teric / Perdix threads, the summarised version is both are good, depends on your relative value of each feature.
Here's those threads:
Shearwater Teric or Perdix?
Teric AI vs. Perdix AI?

I have both and wear both. One on each wrist. I find, regardless of which wrist, that my eyes go to the Teric. They are both great though.

I have the Perdix. The only thing I don't like about it is its so big and klutzy. I would also like to have vibration alarms.
What I would like to see is a Perdix styled computer sized to a AAA battery.

I have both and the Perdix is now relegated to back-up status. I love the Teric display. OTOH, I haven't used it with dry gloves yet and might find its buttons too small for that application.

I have the Perdix. The only thing I don't like about it is its so big and klutzy. I would also like to have vibration alarms.
What I would like to see is a Perdix styled computer sized to a AAA battery.
I checked out a Mares computer at my LDS and THAT.....was big and bulky. Air integrated (up to 3 transmitters IIRC), colour screen, but holy crap.....that thing was huge. Checked out the Perdix at another DS while I was taking stuff in to get serviced and it was about half the size of that Mares one. The Perdix isn't actually that much bigger than my old Vyper. Forget the name of the Mares, but it felt like I'd be able to take about two pounds of lead off one side if I bought that thing and wore it on a dive.

I have both and the Perdix is now relegated to back-up status. I love the Teric display. OTOH, I haven't used it with dry gloves yet and might find its buttons too small for that application.
Thinking of taking my gloves into the shop to see how I'm able to work the buttons. That's definitely a consideration I have with the Teric, as nice as it looks. I think if I have too much trouble (big hangs and fingers....makes gloved hands and fingers bigger) I'll just go witht he Perdix. But that's such a nice display.

Thinking of taking my gloves into the shop to see how I'm able to work the buttons. That's definitely a consideration I have with the Teric, as nice as it looks. I think if I have too much trouble (big hangs and fingers....makes gloved hands and fingers bigger) I'll just go witht he Perdix. But that's such a nice display.
I do winter diving with thick dry gloves and teric is easier to use than petrel.

We did another long dive yesterday and towards the end I realized that I rarely look at the Perdix. The Teric is easier to see and more logically laid out. I would have never guessed when I was considering whether to get the Teric or another Perdix. Thanks @stuartv for helping to push me over the edge.

We did another long dive yesterday and towards the end I realized that I rarely look at the Perdix. The Teric is easier to see and more logically laid out. I would have never guessed when I was considering whether to get the Teric or another Perdix. Thanks @stuartv for helping to push me over the edge.

You know what is even easier to see than a Teric, right? A NERD on your loop hose... :D

Back
Top Bottom