Dive tables for accelerated decompression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just looking out of curiosity at this time and weighing up the possibilities for future training. I understand Buhlmann air tables and although I do not yet have any practical decompression training I would find it easy enough to do BUT I would be bored hanging about too long doing decompression stops. I do not want to go to the complexity and expense of CCR or trimix diving but I would like to be able to get a reasonable / maximum amount of bottom time in the 40 to 50 m range whilst keeping the overall dive time to 50 to 75 minutes. Whether 40% recreational Nitrox would have any / much benefit compared to higher % mixes in reducing deco time is what I am hoping tables would show.

A quick pass through a dive plan comparing EAN40 only to EAN50 + O2 for a 20-minute dive to 165' shows you get abit less than half the decompression acceleration from EAN40. This will vary by dive duration and depth, but it gives you some idea.

For the GFs I have set at the moment, TRT for EAN50 + O2 is 42 minutes, for EAN40 it's 52 minutes, and for no deco gas it's 66 minutes.

A couple of thoughts. First, as pointed out upthread, you should get more experience before starting to do this stuff if your profile's dive count is accurate. Second, starting to do deco diving with accelerated deco is the first step down a really slippery slope. You'll start off with EAN40...next thing you know, you're diving mix with multiple deco gases because "there's some interesting stuff just a little bit deeper."

Just looking out of curiosity at this time and weighing up the possibilities for future training. I understand Buhlmann air tables and although I do not yet have any practical decompression training I would find it easy enough to do BUT I would be bored hanging about too long doing decompression stops. I do not want to go to the complexity and expense of CCR or trimix diving but I would like to be able to get a reasonable / maximum amount of bottom time in the 40 to 50 m range whilst keeping the overall dive time to 50 to 75 minutes. Whether 40% recreational Nitrox would have any / much benefit compared to higher % mixes in reducing deco time is what I am hoping tables would show.

I'm not a fan of flaming or berating people on line so I will just add a note of caution to what you're looking to achieve instead. There is more to decompression diving than just knowing how to read a table and being able to hold a stop. I fully appreciate your reluctance to persue CCR or OC trimix, but there are still a host of courses, for a fraction of the price, aimed at exactly the range you're after (40-50m, limited deco).

Regarding hard tables, even at the range you've specified there are so many variables that they are not really practical. If you're interested from an academic perspective I would recommend one of the many apps available. Just to give you a very rough indication, I ran a profile based halfway between your depth range and up to 75 minute RT and got a 20 minute variance depending on deco gases between 40-100%. However, you'll excuse me if I don't post these profiles as I don't want to encourage reckless behaviour.

I'm sorry if this is not the answer you're looking for.

BSAC produce a set of oxstop tables Ox-stop Tables (with slate)

They’re a bit pricey and I absolutely would not recommend diving them... certainly if you haven’t done the BSAC accelerated deco course...

Do you know how to do this? Do you have deco training?

As a marine researcher, why are you interfering with Darwin's work in the sea?? :p

Just make it up as you go. If you don’t feel well, you screwed up somewhere

Just like cave diving right? First cave dives

_R

Available for Bar Mitzvahs, Weddings, and Anything

but as the original poster liked one of your posts you may have something.

@happy-diver , this is the advanced forum. It's where people are less guarded about what and how they say things. People may be sarcastic. They may sound rather mean. It may sound like they are talking down to you. But overall, the people here are not bad people. However, I think that most people here have the mindset of training properly before pushing the limits.

Experimentation is all very well when the dangers are limited, but seeing those headlines about people dying while diving is always a nasty feeling. Especially if it's somebody whom is known, or who's identity can be guessed from the stories.

Deco can kill. It can also cause permanent damage. Is it really worth taking unknown risks in order to save the price of an AN/DP course?

However, if you are just trolling us in order to see how far you can drag us, well done to you :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom