Training ideas needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies, I live in the French speaking part of a country (Belgium) that has 3 national languages (French, Flemish, German).

In French, at least locally, skindiving/freediving is simply referred to as "apnea/apnée" or "plongée en apnée". The term is used so commonly here among divers that I did not think that it may not be used as commonly elsewhere, particularly the US.

-Z

Taking off all equipment underwater, (people can leave their suit on) surfacing, then trying to dive down and put everything back on again. Or you could try switching gear underwater while buddy breathing if they feel particularly confident.

Just some ideas I had a lot of fun with.

Reactions: Zef
My apologies, I live in the French speaking part of a country (Belgium) that has 3 national languages (French, Flemish, German).

In French, at least locally, skindiving/freediving is simply referred to as "apnea/apnée" or "plongée en apnée". The term is used so commonly here among divers that I did not think that it may not be used as commonly elsewhere, particularly the US.

-Z

No apologies needed @Zef, I just like to rib a little all in fun no offense taken or given. Come to think of it the poster I was referring to may have been from Belgium also not Germany. Two French men made all this possible so as a French speaking diver I'd say you own the diving terms not some old cranky Yankee like me. You taught us something. thanks!

some line use experience in zero vis; use some airline sleeping masks over their masks and have them feel their way along a pre-established line around the edge of the pool.
2/ Ask them to let go and then see if they can re-establish line contact.

Taking off all equipment underwater, (people can leave their suit on) surfacing, then trying to dive down and put everything back on again. Or you could try switching gear underwater while buddy breathing if they feel particularly confident.

Just some ideas I had a lot of fun with.

That was part a standard of OW 40-50 years ago. We were made to do it so times I could close my eyes and don my gear.

Snorkeling advice from the net!

When you went Snorkeling, Spearfishing or Scuba Diving in my neck of the woods
you were a Skindiver

It all seemed to be interchangeable perhaps contributed to by magazine titles
Skin Diving or Skin Diver magazine and some book titles certainly over here
I don't remember I never got it and the people I asked weren't convincing

It's teenagers? I used to teach boyscouts to dive. We often pkayed a game in the pool where the last person to surface got a flash light, nice log book, wetnotes, etc. The boys would submerge in 4' of water and try their best to make the other boys surface. Take their mask, take their reg, take their tank, turn off their air. Anything to make the diver stand up, or more importantly make the diver overcome the obstacle. I've seen some pretty innovative solutions to winning this game.

Of course with the latest bunch of wimpy kids being birthed, it might be too aggressive for their tender capabilities. But who knows :)

@Zef will this be in a pool or open water?

@Zef will this be in a pool or open water?

This will be in a pool.

The teens are all certified at least OW, so the sky is the limit on what we can do....the challenge is to make each Thursday evening's 1 hour to 1.5 hour pool session interesting/fun while engaging them in activities that increases/refines their skill set.

It should be noted that this training does not lead to further certifications for the teens, it is just weekly pool sessions for the members of the club I am a part of. The approach is to have structured pool sessions instead of a free for all, and it allows better management/use of the limited club equipment (bcds, cylinders) that is needed for my group as well as the other groups and the students in official classes leading to certification.

The training will make them more competent, confident, and capable divers which will be beneficial whether or not they choose to progress with further certifications.

Great ideas shared so far. Thank you all. Please continue to post any other ideas you might come up with.

Cheers,

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom