Finish diving by 9:00AM EST?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Root Cause

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am researching diving with a dive operator or local guide as many mornings as possible before a work call at 9:30EST each morning. The idea is that I would rent for a few weeks in the area. I'll have my dog, so non-US isn't really an option. I was thinking FL panhandle, since it is Central Standard Time, but I am open to other ideas. Can anyone get me out diving and back that early? Thanks!

From the Panhandle it's typically a longer boat ride since there's not much just offshore so that will eat into your time. There's a couple shore dives but I've read around Destin it can be really cloudy. I always assume anywhere with good beaches are lousy diving.

Even on the east coast the boats often do two dives so if you assume an 8am departure b4 everyone shows up and checks in - you're out of luck.

Thought about shore diving?Some of the Lauderdale sites are pretty close and there's always Blue Heron Bridge - although it's very tide dependent.

Maybe you can find a guide with a day job willing to get up early?

Anything in the Carolinas is too far out also and it's all boat diving. We did two relatively close dives - one was 4 mile something but didn't get back till just b4 noon.

I was thinking FL panhandle, since it is Central Standard Time,
Haven't you got this backwards? 0930 Eastern is 0830 Central, so even less time to get out and back.
I'd think your best bet would be shore diving, perhaps at a place like Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, or Blue Heron Bridge (if the tide is right), and there is always the fresh-water springs in North Florida, around High Springs, for example.

Thanks diversteve! I kinda figured I would be wanting a local guide for shore dives somewhere, but not sure how to connect with one for my particular multi-morning interest. Blue Heron Bridge is interesting, but no time change, so super early, and tide dependent. I hear muck diving there is nice, and I like to play with my macro lens, but I went there once, and never got in the water. We circled the overflowing parking lot until we finally gave up looking for parking, and left.

Haven't you got this backwards? 0930 Eastern is 0830 Central, so even less time to get out and back.
I'd think your best bet would be shore diving, perhaps at a place like Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, or Blue Heron Bridge (if the tide is right), and there is always the fresh-water springs in North Florida, around High Springs, for example.
Hi Tursiops, you are right. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi Tursiops, if I get back to land after diving in the Central Standard Time Zone at 9:30AM, I will still have an hour to spare until it is time for my 9:30AM meeting in the Eastern Standard Time Zone.
No, that is backwards. At 0930 CST it is 1030 EST.

ask Scuba_Jenny here on SB, she guides in that area - or may know someone.

Back
Top Bottom