Legal considerations for the Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty tone deaf of the owners to file paperwork when one of the lost souls has yet to be recovered.

Must be done, not tone deaf just needs be

Sadly, a fact of life, as it were

A necessary evil that won’t go over well with the general public.

It won't go over well with much of their customer base, either.

Not all. I am their customer base and I think it’s smart. It sucks that they have to but I don’t think any worse of ownership

And as a disclaimer the insurance company hires lawyers and are now for all intents and purposes running the show. The attorneys have what’s called a tripartite relationship in that they represent the interests of both the insurer and insured. Truth will have a “cooperation” clause requiring them to cooperate with the defense, and I doubt there is a consent clause requiring Truth to agree to settlement terms. Truth basically has no say in this filing FWIW

My hope is that general public and members and customer base consider that it had to be done regardless

A necessary evil that won’t go over well with the general public. But I would assume they would need to win the race to the courthouse to establish the primacy of this lawsuit over any other previously filed civil lawsuits. And we all know there is at least one complaint that is probably already drafted for wrongful death.

As I recall the sundiver did the same with drifting dan but don’t think they were successful after o believe an appeal or two
Drifting dan was gross negligence

To be fair, once the claim was tendered to the carrier the carrier hired defense counsel and will be making all of the essential decisions. Truth will have a cooperation clause requiring it to cooperate with the defense. So it isn’t a case where the owner has made this decision. It’s the insurance carrier trying to limit massive payouts.

Not saying right, wrong or otherwise and yes the suit is filed in Truth’s name. Just the realities of insurance defense

Back
Top Bottom