San Diego in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be in San Diego for a conference late August and heard SD has some amazing snorkeling. What kind of protection in August? Will a shorty be enough? Can anyone comment on good spots or interested in getting together? I am not a freediver, but will be practicing breath hold between now and then.

I’d love to scuba but don’t have enough conference free time to consider it :(

One August during the 1990s I snorkelled at La Jolla Cove when I was visiting San Diego during a trip States-side from the UK. I recall the shoals of colourful fish among the underwater rocks and the large number of people, young and old, enjoying the snorkelling experience there. I got by with just a pair of swimming trunks plus a mask, snorkel, fins and sunscreen.

La Jolla Cove has the best snorkelling. Get there early, as parking fills up fast during summer. From the stairs, swim right along the wall to the sea caves. Garibaldi, sea lions and harbor seals can be seen there.
Google Maps

La Jolla Cove has the best snorkelling. Get there early, as parking fills up fast during summer. From the stairs, swim right along the wall to the sea caves. Garibaldi, sea lions and harbor seals can be seen there.
Google Maps

Lol no car for me! I can’t wait :)

One August during the 1990s I snorkelled at La Jolla Cove when I was visiting San Diego during a trip States-side from the UK. I recall the shoals of colourful fish among the underwater rocks and the large number of people, young and old, enjoying the snorkelling experience there. I got by with just a pair of swimming trunks plus a mask, snorkel, fins and sunscreen.

Sounds awesome

@!DrSteve

FYI
I have posted this numerous times before..,.The 1949 issue of Nat Geo - I have a copy and knew and dove with many in the issue. It is a peak at recreational diving San Diego before it became an international activity.

SDM

The 1949 National Geographic magazine article "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious diving magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing and the beginning of recreational diving in the US.
And it all took place in La Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," by diving "Magophiles" Pages 615 to 632 are jammed packed with the photographs of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photographer of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian library and bucket list to dive !

There is a historical significance of articles of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you are diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - made

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone... The last Bottom Scratcher was Jim Stewart whos Bio is in the legends of this board

I would suggest that you goggle the Nat/Geo article, (perhaps bring a copy with you for visually comparing 1949 vs 2019-the difference 70 years makes) and while in California dive into history - La Jolla Cove -- where it all began!

During your down time I would recommend a trip tp the Scrips Aquarium, perhaps a leisurely stroll on the historic Scrips pier

Enjoy California , bring lots of $$$ and don't be alarmed at the price of a gallon of gas

Cheers from California -- where it all began

Dr. Samuel Miler, 111

The variety of life was way smaller than I expected but it was certainly a cool experience. The sea lions...amazing how big they are in the water and so graceful :) I thought one was going to charge me at one point so I curled up into a ball, but he/she was just swimming around - I did get some video but cannot upload that :( It's a good job I didn't notice those teeth before I got into the water.
IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5367.JPG
    IMG_5367.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 191
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom