What’s the future for California dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In regards to the horrific tragedy involving the Conception, what effect do you think this may have on the rest of the California dive boats, especially the multi day LOB’s?

Will there possibly be some major retrofits happening with similarly constructed vessels?

Will there be new protocols involving electrical devices being charged or even allowed on board regardless of whether or not this is the determined cause of the fire on the Conception.

Will all the boats possibly put a second person on watch in the galley and to roam the lower decks all night on special fire watch?
Would you be willing to pay the added cost of an additional crew member for peace of mind?

How does this affect your feelings towards using one if these boats in the future?

I think this latest incident will change a lot of stuff. I just hope it doesn’t snuff out the remaining industry.

To be honest, I don’t know if I’m ready yet to go out on a multi day for a while. Maybe if I took a pad and a sleeping bag and crashed out on the deck under the stars?, but being down in the hole, I don’t think I’d sleep to well right now.
I’ll stick with day boats for now.

This whole device fanatical frenzy of toys needing to be charged, jeezuz!
Last time I was on a Socal LOB I couldn’t find an outlet to save my life! I just wanted to top up my electric razor. All I saw were chargers with cords everywhere.
Maybe new rules should be made: no chargers plugged in overnight, no exceptions.

I suspect if it is proven to be a battery issue, they will issue charging regulations but the cost to outfit those boats would not be cost effective and I imagine if they mandated it they would just shut down. @Wookie can clarify, but typically if a major order to refit came out like that it's just not cost effective for the operators.

I am sure there will be safety improvements and probably the only positive outcome from this incident. Personally I feel that the dive boats will be somewhat safer. Of course something like that happens probably every 100 years (because by any speculation this was a freak accident), and by then this incident will be all but forgotten. But for my lifetime, I expect nothing but improvements even if that is as minimal as ensuring that everyone knows where the fire escapes are. They do that on planes with multiples maps and schematics. Whether a second watchman is needed, maybe especially to make sure that the one on duty is not asleep...

What also troubles me is that boats are not as formal in their briefings especially on multi-day trips where there is really no briefing until you wake up and before the first dive. On most boats you arrive adhoc in the evening, hopefully greeted by a crew member, sign up the manifest, and then walk over to your assigned bunk. I do not remember a briefing at least on the night of the departure including the Conception. To their credit however, I would say that the sign up sheets were right over the escape hatch. Now if you bothered to find out where the other end was down below, that is a different story and that is the only detail that troubles me.

Cost? Well costs have been going up regardless so adding an extra crew member will not increase it by much and this will be probably one cost that nobody will mind including the operator. The Truth boats and company were not cutting corners (from what I felt on the boats), so I am sure they will now go even further. I would probably feel the safest with them...

Pure speculation but dedicated fire resistant and protected charging stations would be something I would like to see. What comes as regulations officially may be logical and may involve abstract thinking to the Max! We can only hope for logic.

I was once on a liveaboard where the nightstand drawer acted as a fire-proof box , they asked anyone charging any electric device to place it inside the drawer should it catch fire / explode.

The drawer was modified with metal and insulation , we also had a fire extinguisher in every single room.

I haven't seen this anywhere else but it sure did give me peace of mind especially considering i was sleeping in the front of the bow , far away from the escape hatch.

When I had my marine repair business I did a lot of repairs on glassed over plywood boats that were built from the late 50’s up through the 80’s. I’m not a fan of that style of construction since there was always a ton of hidden rot and internal problems way beyond where there were any external clues.

I think for multi passenger vessels such as larger dive boats they should be build from steel.
That is just my opinion.

Not that this has a lot to do with preventing boats from catching on fire but steel is a superior material when it comes to boat fires.

The boats were safe when built for the service and routes services. Then life changed. This won't just effect the California b=dive boats, but all Small Passenger Vessels (a formal term) on overnight service. Whale watchers, head boats, especially long range tuna boats, both in California, Texas, and the East Coast. My guess is over 100 boats will be effected.

Many operators will find insurance making their operations not profitable. Many will drop to 12 pack charters. (there are no regulations whatsoever for a 12 pack boat) Many will try to keep up with the engineered solutions, and the Coast Guard loves them some engineered solutions.

Some will move their charging station out to the dive deck. Some will install structural fire protection that they aren't required to have now, and like my $400,000 load line, will find the restrictions too onerous.

I would have no issues sailing on a California liveaboard. But then, I am responsible for my own safety at all times.

I worked in a hospital for many years and it was necessary for the physical plant and the staff to comply with many safety standards, rules, and regulations. Sometimes it was a bit difficult for the administration to find the money to make upgrades and maintain systems; and it was often challenging for busy staff to stay in compliance and still take care of patients and address all the demands of their jobs.

I remember a time when I was required to attend (still another) mandatory safety briefing and I heard the safety director say "All these rules may be a pain in the neck sometimes, but think about it - it's likely that somebody had to die before each one of these standards were put into place. Their function is to try and protect the safety of staff, patients, visitors, and the entire campus, don't you think that's worth a little extra effort and a few extra minutes?" That statement stayed with me and made it easier for me to stay in compliance.

I think that the Conception fire is going to bring many changes (both regulated and self-implemented) across the entire US boating and diving industries, and especially among the liveaboard venues, and may possibly spill over to impact some other areas of the world as well. I'll bet that most passenger vessels started carrying an adequate number of lifeboats after the Titanic disaster.

Even where changes are not mandated this is still a customer-driven industry and people are going to start asking questions and making choices based on their perceived safety and that will drive changes. It is likely that prices will increase to cover the costs of safety enhancements, but so be it.

I remember a time when I was mandated to attend (still another) mandatory safety briefing and I heard the safety director say "All these rules may be a pain in the neck sometimes, but think about it - it's likely that somebody had to die before everyone of these standards were put into place. Their function is to try and protect the safety of staff, patients, visitors, and the entire campus, don't you think that's worth a little extra effort and a few extra minutes?"

Reminds me of my CO in boot camp going over the safety briefings, the rules were written with red paint and we always had to repeat "These rules were written in the blood of a lost friend" . Kind of harsh but definitely true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom