Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the above link posted by BlueTrin:

Reported BY LAIST STAFFIN NEWSON SEPTEMBER 3, 2019 4:14 PM

“Homendy (NTSB Board Member Jennifer Homendy) said she was 100 percent confident that investigators will determine the cause of the fire, why it occurred, how it occurred, and what it will take to prevent it from happening again.”

This is dangerous thinking in the first days of the NTSB investigation. I hope that it is an error in reporting rather than an actual statement from the NTSB leadership. Any credible investigator, regardless of the length and cost of an investigation, must always be willing to say “I don’t know.” This particular investigation is hampered by well-burned evidence, well-washed by salt water, and thirty-four of thirty-nine on-board eyewitnesses who will never give testimony. The only thing that can be said with 100% confidence is that at the end of the investigation, a measure of uncertainty will remain.

NTSB Investigator-In-Charge Adam Tucker should distance himself from such remarks if accurately reported.

I agree that a "We are determined to find the cause..." type wording would be better but I am willing to overlook it considering the horrific loss of life. I suspect that the accident site has been completely searched to find all evidence that may help with the investigation.

Can't go digging for it now, but another previously posted report said the first four bodies to be recovered were badly burned enough to require DNA identification. That doesn't necessarily contradict "injuries consistent with drowning," but that plus the bodies being sighted after the vessel sank supports the idea that none of those below got out.

can you cite please? I have not seen that anywhere and the 4 were recovered early while the fire was still being fought and prior to the sinking

Can't go digging for it now, but another previously posted report said the first four bodies to be recovered were badly burned enough to require DNA identification. That doesn't necessarily contradict "injuries consistent with drowning," but that plus the bodies being sighted after the vessel sank supports the idea that none of those below got out.

I recall that report, as I remember being surprised about that. That is admittedly based on my recollection of fairly early and possibly confused reports. There is the coast guard quote that the first 4 bodies showed signs of drowning.

I have not seen that anywhere and the 4 were recovered early while the fire was still being fought and prior to the sinking
There have been a couple of timelines posted which put that in question, and she sank close the same time this 900-post thread started. Essentially all news was after she actually sank, including the news of her sinking. So, could you please cite your claim as well?

Timeline in article in this post, including statement bodies were found after sinking. Sheriff's first press conference also claimed 0720 am sinking.

While her statement may have bee premature, she does have access to all the survivor statements. She may well have much more information than a group of speculators on the Internet.

My guess has been the batteries on dive gear. They can carry a lot of energy, heat up very quick while charging and saltwater getting inside a case can cause a rapid discharge. I recently got rid of an iPhone USB adapter, because it was getting crazy hot charging. Mix with that 40 random people bringing a host of random, rechargeable devices on a boat with an electrical system that was designed before any of these devises were invented. A charger/battery/electrical ignition is a very likely possibility.

Totally agree. Extremely arrogant statement. Like the FAA deciding to let the 737-MAX continue to fly after it was perfectly clear after the first accident that it was not fit to fly.
This is one of the many reasons I could never serve on an investigation like this. Their minds must be clear and ready to accept data. Mine is made up as to the cause of the fire.

If this is a repeat, I apologize.... I might have missed this type of comment..

Has anyone personally tried to get out of a live aboard boat using the emergency hatch? Has anyone ever been involved in a practice drill, simular to a practice gatherer and doning your life jacket drill? I NEVER HAVE... MAYBE IT'S TIME...

Has anyone personally tried to get out of a live aboard boat using the emergency hatch? Has anyone ever been involved in a practice drill, simular to a practice gatherer and doning your life jacket drill? I NEVER HAVE... MAYBE IT'S TIME...

Yes, yes, and yes. The first one always. The second not on every boat, but I explicitly look for life jackets, rafts, and consider how to get to them in the dark.

I have been on the Conception and the Vision (same bunk configuration) a number of times and actually had the emergency access bunk assigned to me my first trip out and exited out of the emergency opening the first morning.

I wrote about it way earlier in this thread if you want to read more about it Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Can someone discuss the topic of anchor watch? I have been on a few lob and it was my impression that everyone was asleep when we were at a safe anchorage or docked
at night? Is that against some rules? Is that inconisitent with Policy of that particular vessel? If someone is awake and the alarms are working it is hard for me to understand how it
Got so bad so fast that they couldn’t do anything but jump.

Can someone discuss the topic of anchor watch? I have been on a few lob and it was my impression that everyone was asleep when we were at a safe anchorage or docked
at night? Is that against some rules? Is that inconisitent with Policy of that particular vessel? If someone is awake and the alarms are working it is hard for me to understand how it
Got so bad so fast that they couldn’t do anything but jump.
US flagged passenger vessels are required to maintain a watch 24 hours a day when passengers are onboard. That person must be master or mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom