How to extinguish a Li-ion battery fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, what kind of fire extinguisher should you use in this scenario? Lithium-ion batteries are considered a Class B fire, so a standard ABC or BC dry chemical fire extinguisher should be used. Class B is the classification given to flammable liquids. Lithium-ion batteries contain liquid electrolytes that provide a conductive pathway, so the batteries receive a B fire classification.
CO2 extinguishers are class B. They also don't work on anything other than a small battery fire because li-ions are generating their own fuel, heat, and sparks (basically almost the entire fire triangle) so they reignite easily as soon as the CO2 dissipates. If its a closed space you have a chance with CO2, if its not a closed space its probably going to reignite.

Throwing it overboard, or dowsing with water to remove the heat is going to be more effective. Even though water is not typically used on class B fires.

li-ions are generating their own fuel, heat, and sparks (basically almost the entire fire triangle) so they reignite easily as soon as the CO2 dissipates.
Only those LIBs that contain lithium perchlorate. Lithium hexafluoroborate and lithium tetrafluorophosphate are inert in case of fire.

I fly an Airbus 320. 190 passengers and crew, probably 3-4 batteries per person in cameras, phones, tablets etc. Close on 750 batteries. We are also getting 321s with 235 seats, so closer to 950 batteries onboard on a vacation destination flight. Now ramp that up to a A380...... Scarey stuff as you can't open the window and chuck it out, but it may burn it's own hole straight through the plane...

So with with literally hundreds of batteries in any given plane cabin, over how many years, there's not been a major incident. I don' think that's scary stuff given you can just dunk them in water.

One of the problems is that a burning lithium battery generates it's own oxygen, so drowning it in water doesn't extinguish the fire but hopefully stops the heat from damaging other things.

Have a stroll round youtube one night on Lithium battery fires.

Li-on batteries are not lithium metal batteries. Depends which type you're talking about.

So with with literally hundreds of batteries in any given plane cabin, over how many years, there's not been a major incident. I don' think that's scary stuff given you can just dunk them in water.

No major incidents?
What's Behind the Increase in Lithium-Ion Battery Fires on Planes?
Battery Pack Suspected in Recent Virgin Atlantic Aircraft Fire | Digital Trends
UPS 747 Crash Highlights Lithium Battery Danger
Midair firestorm: Lithium-ion batteries in airplane cargo spark fear

CO2 extinguishers are class B. They also don't work on anything other than a small battery fire because li-ions are generating their own fuel, heat, and sparks (basically almost the entire fire triangle) so they reignite easily as soon as the CO2 dissipates. If its a closed space you have a chance with CO2, if its not a closed space its probably going to reignite.

Throwing it overboard, or dowsing with water to remove the heat is going to be more effective. Even though water is not typically used on class B fires.

You’ll get no argument from me about throwing it overboard on a boat.

That was posted as a clue for home owners.

Please note I said "plane cabin" whereas your articles address storing Li-on in the cargo hold, and one says "If it was indeed a lithium-ion battery pack, ...", and the sensationalist headline of "one every 10 days" cites 18 incidents either in airports OR planes and when that article was written mid 2017 FAA reported a YTD number of 18, with a number being 31 in 2016, across how many flights, and what % did the Note 7's account for?

I think the current in-flight precautions are sound.

Having said that, charging them near something flammable, overnight, away from a smoke detector ... IDK ... I'd prefer to charge them at a more opportune time.

Most are lit off during charging.

I have a couple U/W lights that use lithium-ion batteries.
I don't charge them overnight while sleeping, or leave them charging in an unoccupied house or hotel room.
Always thought that was enough caution... well, considering what I'm reading, maybe not.

What I've been learning about lithium-ion batteries has me very concerned.
I like my U/W lights, but now I'm thinking about retiring them.

My question is this... Is ignition most likely during charging, or can this happen during use or storage?

I can charge them in a safe place, like outside in the backyard, but if they could burn or explode in storage... well, then I'm done with lithium-ion batteries.

K.

My question is this... Is ignition most likely during charging, or can this happen during use or storage?

From what i have read, I am no expert, the biggest risk of fire is when charging due to the potential to over charge the battery. There are protection circuits in place to prevent this in most cases, however, as with everything stuff breaks and stuff happens.

From what i have read, I am no expert, the biggest risk of fire is when charging due to the potential to over charge the battery. There are protection circuits in place to prevent this in most cases, however, as with everything stuff breaks and stuff happens.

Ask Boeing what their LiIon Batteries ended up costing them on their 787 Dreamliners during the grounding period Jan 16 2013 - April 25 2013, and what the solution cost.

Michael

Just because it's not in the press doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We train for battery incidences and plan an immediate diversion incase of one.
Why is there a maximun size battery allowed on board?
There was a Samsung Galazy phoned 'banned' from flying in Europe (not sure about the US), my airline doesn't allow hoverboards onboard. Electric wheelchairs are permitted to a certain battery size and extra rules apply. When your cabin bag is offloaded (Yea I know it bad) you're asked to remove Lithium batteries.
Maybe it's the rules and regulation that has so far prevented more issue?

Charging is a risk to a lithium battery as it actually carrying one. Dropping one can cause hidden damage to the cell that may or may not erupt/explode/burn later. Cheap batteries are also a risk as they are manufactured to lower tolerances to make them cheaper.

One of the main reasons that smoking was banned onboard was the fire issue (other social reasons as well).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom