Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty clear that either a) the fire detection system failed to notice a slowly developing fire in time to stop flashover or b) the fire exploded from undetectable to inferno at such a rate that the detection system didn't provide sufficient warning. Once it is determined which it was then you have a much better idea what needs to be done, in what order and how fast.

live aboard dive boats have one thing in common ... a charging station , and if you have seen them you know that they are a fire hazzard... everyone is charging for the next day and next dive ... these stations are a mess, wires and batteries everywhere.. you have No clue if someones Batteries and chargers are safe ... None what so ever... and you charge up your batteries at night..
3am ... everyone is Out tired ... very tired from diving
fires equal Smoke .... Smoke like the fire on the boat Kills instantly

Contact irritants include particulate matter such as soot. Particles larger than five microns will lodge in the upper airways, causing mechanical obstruction. They are observed in the nose and the mouth. Particles smaller than one micron are inhaled deep into the lungs, where the carbonaceous soot is toxic to the macrophages. Macrophages are cells that remove foreign particles. Heavy metals coating the surface of soot cause direct lung damage by forming free oxygen radicals which damage cilia and alveolar surfaces.

Fires generate irritating and corrosive gases. Aldehydes and acrolein are released when wood and cellulose burn. These products cause intense tearing, coughing, and choking. Acrolein is highly toxic to lung tissue, causing protein destruction in the deep lung tissue.

Degradation of plastics creates most of the corrosive gases found in fires. Plastics that contain a chlorine molecule such as polyvinyl chloride are deadly. Burning of these plastics forms hydrogen chloride, phosgene, and hydrochloric acid. Hydrogen chloride is the most toxic of these three; its contact with moist mucosa results in the formation of hydrochloric acid. The eyes, oral pharynx, and upper airway are immediately affected; upper airway edema results. If superheated air has also been inhaled, swelling can be severe and cause rapid, significant airway obstruction. Because hydrogen chloride is only moderately water soluble, it will be inhaled into the bronchus and smaller airways. Tissue response includes swelling, cilia paralysis, and massive fluid leak into the smaller airways. Bronchospasm and bronchorrhea will present as wheezing and pulmonary edema. Phosgene is a combination of chlorine, hydrogen, and carbon molecules. It is commonly present in smoke. Phosgene is poorly soluble in water and is inhaled deep into the lungs. When phosgene contacts moisture in the terminal alveoli, hydrochloric acid is formed, and the terminal alveoli are damaged

rest in peace for those who died ...

Now this sentence I don’t like as much...
It is what it is. I'm reasonable sure the crew and passengers didn't ignore fire alarms going off for 20 minutes. I'm also reasonably sure that the crew didn't work together to cook up a story to tell the grape escape crew. So the on-watch crewman discovering the salon and galley fully involved within a very short period of detecting the fire either means the fire was burning and growing for a long time undetected or it exploded into an inferno extraordinarily fast.

In a much earlier post, someone had pointed out that knowing their own behavior or behavior of friends, some people might have been awake in the galley. This seems to be a big question mark right now, were there people hanging out in the galley rather than sleeping?

live aboard dive boats have one thing in common ... a charging station , and if you have seen them you know that they are a fire hazzard... everyone is charging for the next day and next dive ... these stations are a mess, wires and batteries everywhere.. you have No clue if someones Batteries and chargers are safe ... None what so ever... and you charge up your batteries at night..
3am ... everyone is Out tired ... very tired from diving
fires equal Smoke .... Smoke like the fire on the boat Kills instantly

Contact irritants include particulate matter such as soot. Particles larger than five microns will lodge in the upper airways, causing mechanical obstruction. They are observed in the nose and the mouth. Particles smaller than one micron are inhaled deep into the lungs, where the carbonaceous soot is toxic to the macrophages. Macrophages are cells that remove foreign particles. Heavy metals coating the surface of soot cause direct lung damage by forming free oxygen radicals which damage cilia and alveolar surfaces.

Fires generate irritating and corrosive gases. Aldehydes and acrolein are released when wood and cellulose burn. These products cause intense tearing, coughing, and choking. Acrolein is highly toxic to lung tissue, causing protein destruction in the deep lung tissue.

Degradation of plastics creates most of the corrosive gases found in fires. Plastics that contain a chlorine molecule such as polyvinyl chloride are deadly. Burning of these plastics forms hydrogen chloride, phosgene, and hydrochloric acid. Hydrogen chloride is the most toxic of these three; its contact with moist mucosa results in the formation of hydrochloric acid. The eyes, oral pharynx, and upper airway are immediately affected; upper airway edema results. If superheated air has also been inhaled, swelling can be severe and cause rapid, significant airway obstruction. Because hydrogen chloride is only moderately water soluble, it will be inhaled into the bronchus and smaller airways. Tissue response includes swelling, cilia paralysis, and massive fluid leak into the smaller airways. Bronchospasm and bronchorrhea will present as wheezing and pulmonary edema. Phosgene is a combination of chlorine, hydrogen, and carbon molecules. It is commonly present in smoke. Phosgene is poorly soluble in water and is inhaled deep into the lungs. When phosgene contacts moisture in the terminal alveoli, hydrochloric acid is formed, and the terminal alveoli are damaged

rest in peace for those who died ...

Thanks for the explanation, even if it is a little frank.

Being familiar with the respiratory aspects, do you know of any good studies on the efficacy of the commercially available fire/rescue hoods? There are options as low as $20 and as high as several hundred.

mentioned here the crew opened the door to see if they can reach the passengers but the galley was on fire.
Please, everyone. THERE WERE NO CLOSED DOORS BETWEEN THE BUNKS AND THE OUTSIDE, PERIOD!

Roak

Please, everyone. THERE WERE NO CLOSED DOORS BETWEEN THE BUNKS AND THE OUTSIDE, PERIOD!

Roak

Agree with this. There has been enough pictures posted by now to clearly see this. Speculation or conjecture based on known facts is one thing, but speculation that ignores the publicly known facts needs to stop. Because I didn’t read the earlier post, I don’t know if the reference is to an outside door.

At this point the authorities have way more information than that which has been released. The condition of the “drowned” persons might tell us more of the story. However, we should not be so selfish to demand more information because we are collaterally affected as a larger community. Families come first. And they deserve a thorough and professional investigation.

Some have stated that this was an extremely rare event and possibly by inference there is no need to take action to prevent a recurrence. I disagree. If it was so rare it would not have happened.
That was me. And there is NO inference that there is no need to take action. Don't assume that I meant something I did not mean. What I said is that I'd go on a similar live-aboard tomorrow...because the chances are slim AND because crews from here on out will be exponentially more vigilant. You know what they say, when you ASSume......

Pardon thy rant..
Anyone who wants to auto-blame the crew for bailing out should be ashamed. I was severely burned in 2012 and I have never blamed anyone for not coming in to get me when I was calling out for help and the fire was burning. There were plenty that helped once I got clear but you can't expect people to walk into an inferno without bunker gear. (Fire department was in route but not there) It'll just add to to the body county. Seriously... Unless you have been seriously burned or faced real heat, you don't really know. If someone was derelict or it washes out that there was poor maint. after the Coast Guard inspection, I'll be a critic, but I can't even imagine what the crew is dealing with right now. I know the families and friends are in hell essentially too but I've read a lot of the "Captain and crew should go down with the ship" talk. (I've been sick and I'm catching up)
AGREED (and I'm really sorry for your suffering). I think that ScubaBoarders as a group are compassionate and caring people, but I don't think many, if any, of us would commit suicide by deciding to hurl ourselves into the inferno rather than leaping overboard. I know I'd be overboard if assistance was futile. Why the hell should they go down with the ship? Isn't that an old movie trope? EDIT: Dr Google says it's an old TV trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom