Victoria Vis conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty bad visibility at Yarrow Point (Saanich Inlet) today. It looked like there was one of the red plankton blooms starting at the surface. Visibility was about 6-8' down to 30' deep. Then it gradually started clearing to maybe 20' at my max depth of 115' deep. Below 50' deep it was almost completely dark.

Dove at Madrona last night. 5 - 10 feet of vis until we got on the big wall. Below 60 feet it opened up quite nicely.

Divegoose

Really good vis at Oak Point yesterday morning - from the shallows all the way down to 80 plus feet.

Tide was on an ebb.

Divegoose

Great vis at Dolphin this morning - good in the shallows but great on the big wall and east wall.

Tide was on a high flood.

Divegoose

At McKenzie Bight this afternoon, visibility was 6-8' in the shallows and below 20' it cleared to about 40'. My max depth was 115' deep and down there the visibility seemed to drop to about 20-30'. By the end of the dive the visibility in the shallows had improved to about 10'. Basically, not outstanding for McKenzie Bight, but good enough to make diving there worthwhile.

I did 2 dives up in the Nanoose area today. At Dolphin Beach, visibility was about 15' in the shallows. Between 20-30' deep, there was a murky, green layer where visibility was less than 10'. Below 40' deep, visibility was a nice 50-60'. I did a second dive at nearby Bonito Crescent. Visibility was about the same, but since it was later in the afternoon, it seemed a bit gloomier in the deeper areas.

Still not the greatest visibility for the time of year in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I did 2 dives today at Christopher Point and Swordfish Island. Near shore, visibility was only around 10'. Farther out, it improved to maybe 20'. There seemed to be sediment suspended in the water at all depths.

Back
Top Bottom