Bonaire first timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I ask what people do with their phones when diving?
I leave mine in my room. I take a small UW case for a Fuji Finepix camera I used to have. In it I put my driver's license, a credit card, some cash, my car and room key. I clip it to my BCD. My wife and I call it the dive purse.

Don't use a clip. Use 2. Better, use a clip and quick connect. Bolt snaps will come unclipped. Losing your keys will ruin your day.

Don't ask me how I know tnis. I think somebody may have told me.

Ok, the phone issue came up when I went to Bonaire last year for the first time. Since the wife and I were diving alone in a rental truck, I wanted to be able to make a call in case of emergency with the truck or dive injury (wife does not drive stick). Some sites are out of the way and I could not imagine my wife walking miles by herself in search of a phone or help. I took an old iPhone 6, installed Waze and some other apps and kept it in a ziplock bag in a small pelican case in my BC on every dive. We had GPS and cell service the entire trip (AT&T per day International calling). Well worth the effort and I figured if the phone got toasted, so be it. I plan on doing the same when we return this winter.

Money is in a zipped bathing suit pocket and gets wet as do the keys. I also keep waterproof copies of our passports, my driver's license and a credit card in a zipped BC pocket. Better safe than sorry.

We brought crappy sunglasses, t-shirts and old towels to leave in the truck. I wear my booties between dives all day. Frozen bottles of water for drinking and rinsing camera as well.

This method worked very well for us and having Waze GPS app on the phone was really helpful.

Can I ask what people do with their phones when diving?

We got a cheap burner the last time we were there. We'll put some minutes on it when we go back this October. Last time we went I had gotten a camera housing for an old iPhone. It didn't work out but I was glad we had the phone. We came back to the truck after a dive on the second day and one of the tires was flat. There was no one around who could help and the jack was completely inadequate. We were able to call Buddy Dive for a rescue since we had the iPhone.

I'm ordering one of the tire inflator tools to take with us but we'll also take the cheap burner phone.

Back
Top Bottom