Should I store a drysuit with the completely closed zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrei Astra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just bought the Waterproof D6 drysuit. It has the plastic 'TIZIP Masterseal 10' zipper. The zipper has the special docking mechanism at the end:

The manual says to keep the zipper closed when not diving:

"Storage and transportation

For storage, long- and short term and during transportation we recommend to
leave the zipper chain closed. The closed chain protects the sealing lips from dirt
and damage.
"

My instructor says not close the zipper completely for storage; and to leave the docking end open. He says that every time I close the docking end it wears and it has that many open-close cycles for its lifetime.

The manual is not clear about this.

What's your opinion? Should I close the docking end, or leave it open?

Some drysuit makers/zipper manufacturers specify to store the zipper open...this is often the case with metal drysuit zippers.

Perhaps your instructor's information is based on his/her experience with zippers that are specified to be stored in the open position and is applying that info to all drysuit zippers.

You are at one of life's cross-roads: Either follow the guidance of your instructor OR follow the guidance of the manufacturer. The choice is yours. Where do you put your faith.

-Z

The issue is what will cause the least damage during storage. Closed produces a very rigid and stiff zipper, open produces two more flexible sections.

I think, based on manufacturer recommendations I’ve heard that an open zipper is best and least likely to damage the zipper.

Closed for plastic zip but not fully, leave it open a few inches so the sealing area of the dock isn’t stressed, this is for storage for transport fully closed is fine but I don’t bother. Zipper chain is one part and the dock which you lube is another.

Ask Steve Gamble in Newberry, FL. Do whatever he says.

Fyi, I'd never own another plastic zipper after the short lived I had on the four I received via warranty on my Bare. Also, I'd never again own a Bare, lol

Closed for plastic zip but not fully, leave it open a few inches so the sealing area of the dock isn’t stressed, this is for storage for transport fully closed is fine but I don’t bother.

I have been doing exactly this--closed except for the final docking--but it does seem contrary to the instructions from TiZip posted above. Those instructions do not seem to distinguish between long-term "storage" and short-term "transport."

Ask Steve Gamble in Newberry, FL. Do whatever he says.

Fyi, I'd never own another plastic zipper after the short lived I had on the four I received via warranty on my Bare. Also, I'd never again own a Bare, lol

Some people like the plastic zippers and have good experiences with them. Others, have had the zipper split open underwater, start leaking heavily after less than 200 dives, and have the plastic break.
I have had good experiences with the metal YKK zippers for the last 30 years (although they do eventually wear out) and I'm not going to change for my next 2 suits.
Can second the suggestion to make Gamble a friend - nobody knows more or can fix better than he can.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom