Tipping an Instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where did you take your class? Resort location or through your local dive shop? I’ve seen my OW instructors, who are local and do it parttime (good fulltime jobs), turn down tips.

Marie, I took it at my local dive shop and in conversing with the instructor, she teaches diving part time and has a full time job elsewhere. That said, she recently lost her husband and probably isn't in the best of financial shape.

Marie, I took it at my local dive shop and in conversing with the instructor, she teaches diving part time and has a full time job elsewhere. That said, she recently lost her husband and probably isn't in the best of financial shape.

Use your judgement then. I tip my hairdresser 20%, just as an example.

I know there are a lot of instructors on this site, hoping you will weigh in on my question.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not tipping my OW instructor?
Speaks well of you to have this concern. (I'm not an instructor and never will be)

Got me to thinking, I counted up all the scuba instructors that I had financial agreements with. Eleven! But then I like new experiences and meeting new people is part of that.

One of them I wouldn't give the time of day to. Another should consider himself lucky that he got paid in full. Most fell into the category of "worth the money". A few were exceptional with respect to personal attention, what they did in downtime, and how interested they were in my 'experience'.

@tbone1004 is right on the mark with the 'extras' that some students take for granted. Maybe it is a millennial thing, but not in my generation. Nobody owes me anything of their own. I tipped and took the instructor and his wife out to a nice dinner.

Bottom line, do what feels right for you. If you feel that you came up short vs. what you got then make it good. It is never too late. Keep in mind that just because someone is needy does not entitle them.

However, if you got more than you paid for, do what re-centers you.

If she didn't tick any of the other criteria, I wouldn't really feel bad about not tipping. If you are concerned about her financial situation, then instead of tipping, talk to her about an extra day of private mentorship type stuff or some sort of continuing education.

My instructors (my advanced classes) were bought meals or shared with them when we traveled, and I always bring a little something special to one I have been taking classes through the recent past. I have also rounded up payments with wire transfers. A direct tip? No, but I have done something for them... They deserved it.

I don't expect tips. But I have nearly gotten into arguments over me wanting to pay for my own dinner or lunch. Now I just accept it and say thanks.

Maybe a cultural thing, but not common for instructors to be tipped here. I have been offered a few times, but politely declined and suggested they put it towards their kit funds. One exception was a last minute private DSD our dive shop manager was VERY keen for me to do. Turned out to be two young kids of a Russian Oligarch who was happily buying up most of the shop merchandise at the time. Despite my initial protestations, the look on the minders face implied that it would be 'discourteous' to refuse the tip. £100 later, no harm no foul! :cool:

On the limited number of courses I assisted over 4 years I never saw a student tip an instructor, nor have I tipped one when taking a class. The only tip I received as an assistant was one time a beer.
Yet, I always tip the DM when taking a charter boat. Not sure why it's that way, just that it is (in my experience anyway).

There are countless threads on tipping--why we tip this person and not that, and everyone's opinion on who should get tipped, how it varies from country to country, and that it's all the Americans' fault that tipping even exists.

If she didn't tick any of the other criteria, I wouldn't really feel bad about not tipping. If you are concerned about her financial situation, then instead of tipping, talk to her about an extra day of private mentorship type stuff or some sort of continuing education.

I will be taking my AOW course weekend after next with her again. I will have the opportunity to tip for both classes. Thanks to everyone for their input and if there are any more opinions offered, I will most certainly read them.

When I was certified, I didn't tip my instructor. What I DID do was to let him talk to the women to whom I was married at the time while at a party. He was a real hound dog. I wasn't worried. Afterwards, my wife confirmed the fact that he thought he was God's gift to women. She said something to him to put him in his place that I'll be glad to share over a beer.

Back when I was going through all of my courses, tipping wasn't something that was on my radar. Since 2003, I have been tipping dive guides and dive masters with whom I have been diving. I have been offered tips, which I have declined saying that someday they can pay it forward.
I wouldn't feel guilty about not tipping. I don't think that instructors EXPECT tips, but as stated in the above posts, most will either accept graciously or have an alternative suggestion.

Cheers -

Edit: Punctuation and grammar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom