Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a couple of dive trips aboard Conception back in 1982-83 when the vessel was brand spanking new. (As well as on its sister ship "Truth" (built in 1974).) Truly world class. Yet we need to remember also that these are aging ships ---- Conception had been in service 38 years. With age comes need for more frequent and expensive maintenance, updating or replacing of engines and systems. The fire is said to have broken out about 3:00 AM while moored only yards off shore in about 60 feet of water. Perhaps the crew had been testing out the engine for problems previously identified? Was the fire preceded by explosion? Any fuel supplies or air tanks involved? A whole host of questions. I want to get my hands on the final detailed official report as soon as it becomes available. Which agency, federal, state, or county, will be taking top charge in issuing the report? Could take years if it is found that manufacturers have liability for things such as replacement engines, components, re-wiring of system, etc. Or perhaps the safety rules or enforcement became lax in some ways. Well worth a thorough inquiry. Let's keep the memory of these lost diving comrades alive.

Attachments

• CONCEPTION BOAT TRAGEDY RIP LOST SOULS.jpg
    CONCEPTION BOAT TRAGEDY RIP LOST SOULS.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 145
  • FAULTS OF OUR BRETHREN WRITE UPON THE SAND.jpg
    FAULTS OF OUR BRETHREN WRITE UPON THE SAND.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 127
Once you are there, you are again planning your dive and diving your plan. No one is in the water with you. You are on your own. There are no dive services. Outside of doing shore dives, this is by and large California's diving culture
And very much aligned with the diving culture I'm familiar with here on the right (hand) side of the pond

Wait a minute, Louisville Diver: Are you saying that the "escape hatch" didn't lead outside, but instead led to another cabinet from which they then had do escape? How do you know this? (I think you said you had been on a sister ship, but I'm not sure.) If this is true, that's madness!
Most vessels are built this way. That hatch is not watertight.

NTSB is already investigating

anything about the cause is just a WAG at this point. same situation as when that malaysian airlines flight disappeared

Wait a minute, Louisville Diver: Are you saying that the "escape hatch" didn't lead outside, but instead led to another cabinet from which they then had do escape? How do you know this? (I think you said you had been on a sister ship, but I'm not sure.) If this is true, that's madness!
I think it worked like that on the Spree too. Though not the crazy cabinet thing.

Not completely sure why, partially I'd guess it has to do with maintaining water tight compartments and also where the passenger berths are compared to the salon and the engine room.

See previous post

IF....IF it was a battery fire, it could have very easily gotten out of control in a matter of seconds. Here's a Tesla battery going up. It goes from zero to hero in no time flat. That's a really big pack. but you can see how just one cell starts a thermal runaway on all of the adjacent cells. One 4-cell battery charger turns into a willy pete grenade in an enclosed space.

Not at 6:30 in the video, he says, "We can't put it out!"

Adding a NASA video. Thing goes up like a torch, CO2 fire extinguisher didn't even touch it.

Or a scooter battery....
Kees Beemster Leverenz

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom