Expedition Unknown Episode About the Search for Le Griffon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I realize that Expedition Unknown is not a serious show about archeological exploration. The star travels around and looks for lost stuff but he never finds much, but I watch it occasionally with a grain of salt when the location/story is of interest to me.

I recently caught an episode about the search for LaSalle's lost ship Le Griffon in the Great Lakes, see the trailer at the link below. Of course he didn't find the Griffon but he dived on some interesting old wooden hull boats in Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

Yes, the EU "star" appears to be a minute segment of pubic-hair.
Well, that's a little harsh. While Expedition: Unknown is not very deep into science or archeology, it is what it is intended to be, and that is entertainment with a touch of exploration, adventure, and perhaps, someday, some actual discovery.

I personally like watching the show and think the host, Josh Gates, does a good job. While some of his jokes are rather corny, he does add a bit of humor to the show. I do particularly like the shows where diving is involved.

And I did watch the show in the OP. While they didn't find the ship they were searching for, it was still interesting.

I respect your right to an opinion and, in turn, expect the same.

While Expedition: Unknown is not very deep into science or archeology,

Nailed it - and I quote - "Oh My God! Oh My God!" - that is all you need to know and now you have seen the show...

Ugh - 30 mins I can't back back... please... Drama and nothing...

I respect your right to an opinion and, in turn, expect the same.
Certainly. You don't like the show. I'm fine with that and not trying to change your mind. I just thought your description of the host was a little harsh. I'm sure there are shows you like that I wouldn't care a thing about. Not everyone likes the same thing.

And it's good they don't, or else there'd be huge traffic jams underwater all the time.:wink:

I disliked the show greatly. But I am also involved behind the scenes and know the players involved.

Nevertheless, I believe the Griffon story is truly a Great Lakes mystery. I dont think it will ever be found outright, but in bits and pieces of verified artifacts and not an intact hull. I also think the only good thing to come out of that show was a serious claim that she did founder in Lake Michigan soon after leaving Green Bay, and those who try and influence the Lake Huron or Missisagi straits have been dealt a pretty good blow. At least Balliod presented the best argument towards it in my opinion. And unlike other in that show, a real wreck hunter.

However the frauds over in Lake Michigan need to knock that gold nonsense off and get out of the limelight and let us real wreck hunters make real history without bias and "spicing" it up from what it really is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom