What to wear immediately after a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yeah - I know this is all about vanity. Please don't go there. I feel silly enough asking the question.

Rarely do we go from the dive boat to our room for a shower and change of clothes. Usually we go from the boat to a place to grab lunch. I don't know HOW my swimsuit manages to hold so much water, but even if I dry all the right bits with a towel I STILL end up with a wet bottom and looking like I need to go breast feed my baby (and my youngest is now 24!). So whether it's a t-shirt and shorts, a cover-up, a pareo, a sun dress - it never looks pretty. I don't like mumus because they never look good on me.

How do ya'll look fresh-as-a-daisy - or at least presentable - after a couple of dives? Remember, I know this is 100% about vanity, so no hatin'! I'm thinking I probably need a fabric that has a pattern so you don't notice the water spots, but other than that I don't know.

Don’t ever feel bad about asking questions. Someone else is likely thinking the same thing and if they haven’t, this might evoke the same feelings or question.

I use a towel and dry from top to bottom. I focus on the padding of my swimsuit top and literally wring or squeeze my boobs out so the excess water goes. Then I do it again but this time with a towel to get the excess out. I then move down to the bikini bottom and push (pat) to dry and will sit on a towel to maximize absorption of excess water from my butt area. I then put on a pair of thin, non-water harboring board shorts or synthetic shorts like the Patagonia micro planing shorts or baggies. I throw on a Patagonia Capilene Daily tee which is a cool-touch, silky synthetic top. When these fabrics get wet, they dry super quickly so it never bogs or looks drippy or heavy. I love it.

Stream2Sea Leave In Conditioner and a finger comb through the hair.

Here’s a photo of me on the far left in black and grey wearing the 2 items I mentioned. I’m wearing my swimsuit under. We just finished diving for trash under a pier in Egypt. I didn’t do a great job of drying my hair so you can see the drip marks onto the shirt, but I hope it gives you an idea. I cut the heads off for privacy. :)

Attachments

• 320A8CC1-D955-4D35-A362-C8DDFEA6A5D7.jpeg
    320A8CC1-D955-4D35-A362-C8DDFEA6A5D7.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 1,003
I've tried the squeezing, patting, and sitting on a towel and I still end up with more water!! I'm not sure where it comes from!!! I wouldn't worry about it quite so much but on this upcoming trip (Kona, leaving on Monday) we are 45 minutes away from our hotel and I want to go do some tourist stuff on the way back to the hotel while we're already close to town. Another option is to bring clothes to change into when I get to the restaurant.

I have some items I have purchased specifically for travel and maybe that's what I need to be looking at. I have a couple of golf shirts that are quick dry and long sleeved (which I need for sun protection) and those super quick drying pants that are very light and cool. And maybe I can shop a little this weekend. :wink:

Thanks for providing some extra direction - and for understanding my state of mind. Wish I was diving Egypt with you!

If I absolutely have to look decent, I duck into a Porta-Potty and change out of my swimsuit, pat myself dry and wring out my hair, and put real clothes on. I braid my hair for dives so it generally doesn't look too terrible when it dries. If there's no Porta-Potty around, I have a sarong and I change under it. So wrap it around my waist and tie it to take off and put on bottoms, then tie it around my neck like a cape to change tops. Sports bras are not your friend for the sarong method.

If I don't care, I usually have long boat commutes or post dive briefings, so I also just stay in my swimsuit to let the sun and air dry it as much as possible then put on a dark tank top that you can't see wetness very well on and black shorts.

I hear you!
My husband just likes to go hit the bar/restaurant after we return to shore. I want a shower and suit change!
I often take two sets of clothes, one that absorbs a lot of water, and one that is patterned and lightweight. Quick change before t want to be presentable and all is good.
It is harder at home where everyone else in the restaurant did not just leave the beach/pool. Here, I strip and redress in the car, under a blanket, and I cut my hair really short. :)

Wicking workout t-shirt and a pair of non-cotton workout capri pants/leggings.

Okay, I'm a guy but I'll show you what my wife and I have. Saw these in our LDS, marked down during their annual BBQ and sale.

https://chammyz.com/shop/

They aren't necessarily super stylish (see the colors and different sizing descriptions) but are very functional. The pieces we have sport an embroidered dive flag and on some the dive shops name. Made of 100% all natural fabric (utilizes wood fiber waste, but is somehow soft) it absorbs water from body/suit but dries pretty quick. To your point, it is hard to see any moisture in the material. I have a couple of vests, shorts, and shirt jac. My wife has a couple of shirt jacs. No longer scuba diving, she wears hers on boat tours and takes it when we go out in case she gets cold. I wear mine to the dive boat over my suit and slip it on after the last dive - sometimes put the vest on during the surface interval.

Me at a stop on my way to Cabo Pulmo for a couple of dives in the vest and shorts and on a catamaran in Bahamas. Guess I like the black color best! Don't have any pants but thought my wife might like them. My dive shop got them in recently.

PICT0056.jpg PICT0274.jpg IMG_9057.jpg

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 828
  • image.png
    image.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 845
Man here
I have two swimmsuits on the boat and always change before and after the dive.
I only have experience with boats big enough to have a restroom

When we are on a land-based dive boat I usually just wrap myself in a big towel between dives then put on a cover-up at the end of the diving. I try to get dry and changed into a fresh swimsuit before eating and diving again whenever possible.

You don't need to pack many real clothes when you are on a liveaboard but I always bring about 4 swimsuits and 2 cover-ups with me on LOBs, so I can get dry and changed between dives and always have at least one suit and cover-up on the line drying.

Dotti brand makes a lot of nice cover-ups in a variety of styles, lengths, and fabrics; they sell them at Macy's and you can find them at other places and online.

Back
Top Bottom