DPVs in Truk Off Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In about a week I leave for a 1-week trip on the Truk Odyssey with two other friends. Our dilemma is whether or not to take DPVs.

We are all diving doubles and trained for decompression diving. We also know the main attraction is Wreck Penetrations. The flight is just 3 hrs and one plane (coming from Kwajalein) so there is very little hassle in bringing the DPVs.

But will we use them? Currently there are only six divers and we make up 6 of them.

We will appreciate any input from anyone who has dived from the Odyssey...

Thanks and Happy Bubble,

Michael

I would bring them if you think you may want them for circling around the wrecks and dipping in the bigger cargo holds. Bow to stern swims on the bigger wrecks like the aikoku, heian, or shinkoku take a while. There also would be the opportunity to hit a different nearby wreck if you didn't like the offered dive, but it sounds like since you have the whole boat, you can change the site anyways.

the other question is if you will be diving ccr or oc. oc mix is expensive and a dpv would help if you are sticking to 20/20 to keep cost down on the deeper wrecks

We will be diving OC. We are from Kwajalein, a U.S. Military site and CC is not allowed, thus we don't even mess with it on a consistent bases.

Thanks for the input...greatly appreciate it.

Have you discussed this with the lob as well? I would be checking to see what their policy is first :)

Just thinking in terms of them providing guides for your dives (or not) who obviously wouldn't be able to keep up if you all have dpv's.

I haven’t taken a dpv to truk yet. Didn’t have one that I could fly with until last year. Took it to Bikini on the truk master. It was awesome. Will take mine to truk next year. What was a 25-30 min swim to circle the wreck will become a 6 min scooter ride. I was like a kid in a new playground. Zipping here and there to play for a bit. Only issue I would recommend is charge them in a common area not in a room. I’ve seen a minnus have issues.

Have fun!

Was on the Odyssey in July and 4 of us had scooters. Not a problem.

We used them on about 1/3 of our dives. Particularly nice on Aikoku.

Was on the Odyssey in July and 4 of us had scooters. Not a problem.

We used them on about 1/3 of our dives. Particularly nice on Aikoku.
Thanks...for me logistically it is just a short flight to Chuuk and I would hate to want them and have them sitting at home on Kwaj.

We are getting excited for the trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom