Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stanley Boats

Registered
Reaction score
September 2019

Hello,

I'm working with three Fire Rescue agencies that have at least one important thing in common: limited budget for side-scan sonar. All three are volunteer-based, freshwater lake departments, trying to equip their small boats with gear for rescue/recovery ops. They have asked for recommendations on 2019-2020 hardware that is accurate, easy to use with decent displays. Budget range is $3500.00 to $5000.00 USD approximately.

Boats are new 22' and 24' LOA modified vee-hulls, aluminum landing craft models. Lake depths are typically 25' to 80' +/-. Two of the lakes are on top of 'drowned land', with the usual layers of organic debris on the bottom.

Do you have any particular products to recommend, suitable for emergency responders who work in all weather conditions in low-vis waterways? (Some of our other customers have given high marks to Raymarine and Humminbird.)

Thanks in advance.
Doug

I have some fishing buddies who swear by the Garmin Panoptix as the best side scanner out there. It's pretty impressive what it is capable of doing. They have systems that fit into the price range you specified.

I'm on an Emergency Services Board. One of our 9 volunteer fire departments that also does lake rescue and recovery uses SSS. I don't know what brand they use or the pricetag, but will check and get back to you.
It looks like you're getting some good suggestions already.

Cheers -

PM sent

I'm on an Emergency Services Board. One of our 9 volunteer fire departments that also does lake rescue and recovery uses SSS. I don't know what brand they use or the pricetag, but will check and get back to you.
It looks like you're getting some good suggestions already.

Cheers -
I appreciate all the advice. "Live-time" imaging seems possible now, even with the less expensive units. However, the key question is, "how well can the device distinguish a soft-tissue target at depth?"
D

My source has some "emphatic" advice. He has been using side-scan sonar for quite a while and I know he knows what he talking about as he has been on numerous searches and has never come back empty handed. He also says they are very affordable. More later.

Cheers -

For small squishie shallow stuff the new humingbird helix is by far the best (i can see octopus on the sand with it)
For deep structure garmin is king (gtm51 transducer with a xsv unit can find wrecks up to 150m in good conditions)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom