Tension in Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok Jenzo - if that's how you see it were cool to disagree. Trust me I do not condone or support any violence but this flares up regularly - and has done for decades. 20 years ago I was wishing a kid I babysat goodbye as he headed up to help stop the genocide in Dili - I actually can't remember a time when there hasn't been periodic flare ups somewhere north of me sadly.

I don't doubt there is tribalism and economic motivation at play here, but the primary spark for this particular set of recent events was what happened to the Papuan students in Surabaya.

Indonesian should consider give up that part of the country which they had "inherited" from the Dutch.
Let the local decide their own future. If they cannot live in peace among themselves it is their problem.

I don't doubt there is tribalism and economic motivation at play here, but the primary spark for this particular set of recent events was what happened to the Papuan students in Surabaya.

The incident in Surabaya certainly lit the fire, the Papuan people feeling left out, downtrodden, having a bleak future and not having their interests heard nor acted upon is the fuel for the fire to break out uncontrollably. It's happening all over the world, from the rise of right wing populism to outright open revolution governments have to long ignored the needs of their people for the needs of those in power and their money'd interests keeping them in power.

Is it any wonder they're a bit peeved? I also feel they should be given back the land but never will get it without going through what the Timorese did.

That it seemed to be a surprise to some people was interesting to me - I had a cousin working there when the Free Papua Movement started attacks on the mine in 1977. Seeing we've had a link or two about Michelle Obama (?) thrown around here's a couple that are very relevant to what's happening today and will continue to happen.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Indonesia flashpoints: Papua - from 2004

Grasberg mine - Wikipedia - background to the initial takeover of the land and FPM

Colonism has a lot to answer for.

If it is not Raja Ampat very few outsiders would have aware the existence of West Papua. I still remember the old name of Irian Jaya(never set foot) when backpacking in Indonesia decades ago.
To transmigrate the Muslim there is a big joke!
This "hot potato" will be too hot to handle for the Indonesian.

I'm sure I wasn't dreaming when I heard Joko say the capital will be moved due to land subsiding to Indonesian Borneo (?) - after building the marina and that nice groovy shell building I'm surprised FSB (funky shell building) hasn't been declared "summer parliament" :wink:

Indonesian should consider give up that part of the country which they had "inherited" from the Dutch.
Let the local decide their own future. If they cannot live in peace among themselves it is their problem.

Indonesia had not “inherited” West Papua from the Dutch. The local Papuan (Sosok) leader, Frans Kaiseipo, as shown in new Rp.10,000 bill (below) wanted to be independent themselves from the Dutch and became part of Indonesia back in 1946, hence the name IRIAN was born. It is short for Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherland. Ikut means joining or integrating. You can guess the meaning of the rest of the words. So get the story straight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/massha...la-nama-irian-jaya-ini-sosok-pencetusnya/amp/

F5FDF998-7CFA-45EC-9E98-DCF160F046F4.jpeg

Reactions: Jay
Act of Free Choice.
East Timor has achieved the "near impossible" at terribly cost. Let the Papuan decide their future.

Moving the Capital to Kalimantan would stop the slash and burn practice? I wonder.

Yes Centrals, that should rid pesky old Borneo of any annoying rainforest, let's put a Jakarta there because we can put nice palm trees in a row - is more better that way :wink:

Funny that 6 year exit clause never got acted on or paid much attention to.

It's easy to vote for democracy when your vote is not counted but migrations of populations around elections just seems a bit on the nose to me.

Perhaps Jared Diamonds term fits better - "Enculturation"

Indonesia had not “inherited” West Papua from the Dutch. The local Papuan (Sosok) leader, Frans Kaiseipo, as shown in new Rp.10,000 bill (below) wanted to be independent themselves from the Dutch and became part of Indonesia back in 1946, hence the name IRIAN was born. It is short for Ikut Republik Indonesia Anti Netherland. Ikut means joining or integrating. You can guess the meaning of the rest of the words. So get the story straight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/massha...la-nama-irian-jaya-ini-sosok-pencetusnya/amp/

View attachment 537675
This is a better one to read Dan, it was 1962 that West Papua became part of Indonesia: New York Agreement - Wikipedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom