Newbie Reg purchase: Mk25/S600 vs. Poseidon Xstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H.K.B.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,
I’m new to diving and have begun purchasing my gear. Been looking at reg’s and would really appreciate any feedback you might offer regarding the following regs:

-Scubapro Mk25/S600
-Poseidon Xstream Black or the Xstream Deep Mk3

I definitely fall in the “buy-once, cry-once” category, and would like to go with a setup that my skills can grow into and will stand the test of time and abuse.

Everything I’ve read on the 25/600 Scubapro sounded like its bomb-proof and cam e recommended highly from my local dive-shop.
I also really liked the idea of the Poseidon, as close to “milspec” as I could find and rated for everything I could possibly pursue in diving.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much!
-Hans

g260 is better than s600 imo, but the biggest difference is the xstream second stage performs differently due to the servo. you need to try it out and see if you like it or not.

IMHO, the Scubapros will be much easier to get serviced or can learn to service yourself :)

I say that as I recall hearing that Poseidon's are more expensive and there are fewer shops that do service Poseidons.

The equation starts with what they cost (budget), then involves support (service), and then includes preference (they truly feel different). Neither are a bad choice. How do you check those boxes?

The SP regulator is a known "quantity" with known excellent performance and a wide support/dealer network around the world. "Military Specs" aren't always relevant to the recreational diver or are current specs.

One thing to check on with the mk25 is the wobble between the body and the turret. For some reason it is present in some and not others. Is there a service bulletin on this?

Last year bought my first regs the gold anniversary MK25/S600. Have had 20 dives with them and they have performed as advertised. For me there is a big difference in having your own regs. I do believe there are a lot of good manufacturers and regs out there. I also concur in the buy once and cry once approach.

Factors I took into consideration for my purchase was price (I don't pay retail), warranty coverage, parts availability, support, and type of diving (rec, warm water). The MK25/S600 have a long history of top performance. I found the right price and made the purchase.

I'd recommend that you identify the type of diving that you will be doing. set a budget, talk to a few local dive shops and other divers. Be patient. BTW - based on an informal survey of say 50 divers that I have met over the past few years my bet is that you and I purchase a second set of regs. Just a hunch. So much for the buy once and cry once methodology. :D:D:D

Second set? For a choice on Tuesdays? :rofl3:

I am a huge fan of Poseidon regs and think the Xstream is an amazing piece of engineering.

You will hear a lot of mythology about Poseidon’s. They are different and that makes some people avoid them. There is currently no issue getting parts or service. Both DRIS and NESS will sell you parts. You can even sign up for service training through Poseidon if you want. There are at least 3 places within driving distance that I can get service, although I just Handle my own.

Nothing wrong with the scubapro either. But don’t expect to buy parts anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom