Need help buying my first BP/W system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly recommend Apeks I use the steel plate in cold water and the aluminum plate in warm water. I would get the one piece harness but the Apeks webbing is stiff so I prefer the DGX one piece harness set. I also use the surelock weight attachments and pockets they work great and they are interchangeable with the Aqua Lung surelock pockets.

Wow, thanks a lot guys, that is a lot of input. Looks like I have some reading to do regarding the buoyancy, helpful links. Ofcourse It would be better If I can spend less, but I do not mind spending 100 eur more if it means I get better quality, after all I do not intend to change/replace components soon, unless of course something won't fit. I would really prefer to buy in EU in case I need to return something and so on...
Regarding the 5 mm suit and warm water, it is warm in July in August, not so much in October or November, it is not a tropical sea. I could have gotten away with 3mm but I already have a 5 mm suit that I bought when I first started diving and is still in pretty good condition. I think I was using around 7 kg of weights on regular BCD if I remember correctly. I will probably go with SS, but will read those buoyancy articles first. Do not want to end up having no weights at all in case the Wing fails and I will have nothing to ditch, I guess?

Right now there is 10% extra promotion code for everything on Planetdivestore where I found mentioned Apeks stuff, so I just purchased a regulator set, I think I got a pretty good deal: Apeks Atx40 Din Set Deal Assembled And Tested With Gauge (for 296 eur)
fXTSouq.png

Those are also interesting sets:
Mares | XR Line - Silver Knight Single Backmount Set
DTD Ring 14 Pack - Gidive Store

if you skip the surelock weights, the apeks wtx d30 and steel plate should be around 450 euro.

WTX Steel Backplate
WTX D30 Wing
WTX Deluxe One Piece Harness

also can look at the xdeep zeos.

XDEEP ZEOS 28/38 Standard Full Set BC System

get some weight pockets to put on the cam bands as needed, way cheaper than integrated weights. use a drysuit or ditchable weight on a belt.

With those 3 WTX components, do I need some extra screws or is everything included? I suppose I need to buy at least tank straps separately?

Right now there is 10% extra promotion code for everything on Planetdivestore where I found mentioned Apeks stuff
Ok, you seems you are overwhelmed by all these. It is something totally expected and understandable.
I would suggest you take it easy. Don't try to buy everything at once. Think a bit what equipment you need next, focus on this, study a bit, ask here for more info and then shop around.

For every decision there are a number of questions you need to answer first like how serious do you see yourself getting with diving? Cold/warm water (will you every go dry?)? Service yourself or in stores (in this case what your stores sell/service?) ?? etc etc

Just to help you out planetdivestore has 10% discounts quite often. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also be careful with this store. They don't mention availability when you order. If you are lucky and they have everything in stock when you order, the order will probably go smoothly. But if something is not in stock then your order can become a nightmare as communications with them is not the best. Be very careful when you order several items together through them. After 2-3 orders I did with them that went sideways I decided it doesn't worth to buy from them again. Similar to www.scubastore.com They may have good prices but they are blacklisted for me.

Other e-shops you might consider:
- The one I told you above Buoyancy compensators - Wings - DIVING-STORE.net I've got my BPW from there
- uwfun24.de (in German only but with google translate I've managed to do few orders and all went very smoothly) - they have good prices and do now and then discounts too.
There are a couple more very good e-shops mainly from Germany that I can't remember right now. Just google for them.

You will notice a trend. Good dive stores also cater for technical divers (but not exclusively) - cheap dive stores only sell popular/fancy/sparkling things. If you think you will get serious with diving (not technical necessarily) I suggest you avoid the second kind of stores.

SB is here to help you get informed before you make decisions.

Just my suggestions and I hope I helped.

All the best

I think I was using around 7 kg of weights on regular BCD if I remember correctly. I will probably go with SS, but will read those buoyancy articles first. Do not want to end up having no weights at all in case the Wing fails and I will have nothing to ditch, I guess?

If you are weighted "perfectly", you'll be neutral at safety stop with (almost) no gas in the cylinder. Which means that at the start of the dive you'll be heavy by the weight of the cylinder. And with thick wetsuit, it'll compress at depth and lose buoyancy, so at depth that could add weight.

It's up to you to add up that weight and decide whether you can swim up with it in the case of total wing failure. And then decide how likely you are to have a wing failure and an incapacitating (medical?) problem at the same time -- the kind where you can't swim up but you could possibly ditch all your superlock weights and float up alive and well.

wow.
you can get just about any top of the line BC ('cept for the SP hydros) for that coin.
But SB loves their BP/Ws for some odd reason I still have yet to figure out.

There's a reason a lot of us love the BP/W setup, I've never come across a diver who said "I didn't like the BP/W system so I went back with a classic BCD".
Not ever.

With those 3 WTX components, do I need some extra screws or is everything included? I suppose I need to buy at least tank straps separately?

you just need two tank cam bands. if you thread them through the wing and plate, the screws are optional. can also just get stainless book screws from a hardware store cheap

Thanks everyone for your input. You have all been helpful. I have ended up buying that ATX40 Regulator set on Planetdivestore because the price was really good. My experience with them was pretty good, fast delivery and everything went smoothly. And I bought the rest of the equipment from Mikesdivestore. Apeks WTX harness - regular, stainless steel plate, WTX-D30 PSD wing, surelock weight system... Just did my 5th dive in this gear and I absolutely love it. I also have to say that I did NOT notice that thing some people describe where BP/Wing pulls you forward or something on the surface, not at all. It has been very comfortable for me. I can recommend it. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom