Preferred way to store regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got one of those travel hangers for BCD's and I have my BP/W connected with the cam bands and hanging on it for storage purposes.

I also have a bag that I keep my regulators in but it keeps them somewhat "coiled up" to fit in there.

I'm wondering if storing them in the bag and hanging it from the hangar is an okay method to store them, or if keeping them coiled up like that for months at a time is a bad idea when not in use. FWIW they are double braided hoses so they are a bit more flexible and not sure if that matters for storage purposes.

Or would just hanging my regulators from the top of the hanger and letting them dangle be a better idea?

Or does none of this matter and I'm completely overthinking this, which wouldn't be a surprise to me if so.

I hang my regs up on hooks by the yoke. If you have DIN you'll need a different type hanger. Don't hang by the hoses. There is a dehumidifier near where I store my gear so the regs dry out real nice as well as all my other gear. All dive gear should to be stored in a cool dry place, with the dehumidifier running my basement fits that to T.

I have mine loosely coiled and stored in a non-air tight rolling tool bin with the rest of my dive gear. The closet stays relatively cool and dry year round. I prefer not to have it hanging as I worry about it dropping onto the hardwood floor and I also like to ensure dust and bugs aren't an issue. It might not be a thing, but it is less stress on the hoses and the first stage if it's not completely dangling all the time. I suppose it makes me feel better.

If I'm not going to use my regs for at least a few months I leave them to dry for a few weeks with the dust cover off to allow any water to get out of the first stage then put them in a ziplock bag and suck the air out before sealing it.

If I'll be using them within a few months I simply coil them up in my dive bag, again with the dust cover off.

Yeah I figured I was completely over thinking it lol. This is what I went with for now.

o4xrlmB.jpg

Here is the neoprene bag I use for my regulator bag and they can fit in there coiled up a bit. If I did keep them in there, no dust would get on them too. Since I'm going to be strictly vacation diving for the most part, I definitely won't be using them during the winter time so they will be sitting around for a while.

qrKVTF4.jpg

It's going to be stored inside my house year round so it will be temperature controlled and dry.

Best stored connected to a pressurized tank under 30 plus feet of water, be sure to keep a mouthpiece in a mouth hole to ensure it does not dry out and for gods sake exercise the diaphragm a little by breathing in and out.

I've heard that any form of hanging them isn't good. But that may be wrong. I lay the reg down and put something under the first stage to elevate it (so water from the dive won't gravitate toward it). That's what someone advised me to do 15 years ago and I still have the same reg (bought used).

I’ll go with over thinking it. I store my rein open air, coiled on a shelf in the basement in the off season. Between dive excursions (once a week) in season they get rinsed and left where they can air dry, like coiled on the garage floor. Generally, I do not store them in anything that prevents air flow. Breathing through a mildewed reg has to be one of the grossest thoughts in the world to me. Hanging them is probably fine, but I am not crazy about how the hoses bend when hanging, that’s why I store them loosely coiled

I just changed my LP and HP hoses to Miflex, and the hose instructions state "...Never leave your hoses dangling with any regulator installed, especially when they are without pressure. Always secure the hoses to your jacket with hooks or straps, but leave sufficient freedom for movement..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom