Cochinita Pibil After Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflaher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been to Coz a half dozen times now and have never tried cochinita. I've done a number of SB searches for places that serve it - El Moro, Restaurante Tamarindos, Mario's - but they all seem to stop serving it at noon or so.

By the time morning dives are over and I get back to the hotel and shower, I will have missed the deadline. Some days I will be diving in the afternoon as well.

Any places that serve cochinita later in the afternoon or for dinner? I won't have a car but don't mind a long walk from town if necessary.

Thanks!

When I have been to El Moro's on Sundays they seem to usually have it as a special for dinner. It seems that it is traditionally a Sunday dish and their are a lot of homes and vendors also selling it on Sunday Mornings (most have to much fat for my taste). My favorite go to place is Mario's but as the OP stated they seem to have an 'x' amount in the AM and when they run out they are done for the day, often by lunch time. Often if I walk to the Marina or go out on the equipment truck I miss out because they do not open till 7 to 7:15 AM. I love a pre-dive Cochinita with extra habanero (Pepcid AC required:eek:). I was told by one of the DM's that Mario's does not cook their Cochinta at that restaurant location but get it from another restaurant location a couple blocks away on 30th, which if true I would suspect is a family tie-in. If anyone can confirm this and knows the location of the source restaurant I would appreciate the info.

Casa Denis does have it and it's pretty good, ask for their Habanero salsa it's very good on the tacos. The only other places I have had it is by the kilo, on the transversal, but that is only on Sundays and it's gone by 11am normally, but it's awesome.

Super Hit!! Great cochinita, open until late afternoon, at least. One around Av 30 and Calle 5, I think, and the other at 30 and Q Roo. By the taco, torta, plate, or bulk packed.

Thanks Sallye and others! Looks like I have some options. Of course I could take a day off from diving but so far that's outta the question :wink:

I ended up going to Casa Dennis just before heading to the airport. Had the 3-taco plate for 100 pesos. Yes, the habanero salsa was hot but I used it sparingly enough and it provided great addition.

I tried to go to Super Hits but they had just closed the day I went there.

Had them last night at Turquoise Bar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom