Destination suggestions for a birthday trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Manfrenjensenden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife has a birthday ending in a zero in 2021, and I'd like to take her on a really nice dive trip to celebrate, ideally in March or June/July/August 2021. Goal is a two-week or so trip, with a week to 10 days of diving and the rest visiting the area a bit. She's a newer diver (~50 dives under her belt) and really enjoys it, but is prone to getting nervous if conditions get outside of her comfort zone. Price is a secondary concern, and a higher-end experience is what we're looking for (doesn't have to be expensive, but I'm looking for nice). Here are some criteria I'm looking to hit:
  • Healthy vibrant reefs with lots of color and life. Lots of biodiversity a plus.
  • Water temps in the high 70s or above. She gets cold fairly easily.
  • Liveaboard preferred, but shore-based is fine. She's a 2 or maybe 3 tank per day diver, but enjoys being on boats so would be fine staying on deck while others dive another tank or two.
  • Mild to moderate expected conditions. She's ok with drift diving if the current isn't super strong, or if we have a DM just for us. She wouldn't enjoy trying to get back on a boat if there were a lot of surface chop, nor would she enjoy much surge.
  • She prefers shallow to deep, both for more light and color but she feels more comfortable at 40' than 90' and that helps her enjoy the dive more.
  • Bigger stuff great, but not necessary. Too many sharks is actually a negative, as it puts her on edge. A few here and there is great, though.
  • Not too much tolerance for political instability
  • Hoping to have reasonable travel and flight connections from Toronto, Canada, but I understand that may need to be sacrificed
Her diving experience to date has all been Caribbean, so we'd like to go somewhere else. She's really enjoyed Cozumel (with some reservations about the current) and Bonaire (loved it). From the research I've done so far, it seems like there are a lot of possibilities in Asia. Raja Ampat keeps coming up (though the travel seems daunting), as do some places in the Philippines (and there's a direct flight from Toronto to Manila). Any suggestions for destinations/boats I should investigate?

The St Lawrence River
- direct by car and no flights necessary
- water temps in the 70s in July/August
- lots of drift diving
- lots of diving in the 40-50' of water range
- no sharks
- politically stable (for now)
- vibrant reefs and water life (ahhh not so much)
- lots of shore diving or boat diving choices
- lots of divorce lawyers between Kingston and Cornwall in case you take my advise and actually book this trip in lieu of anywhere warmer.....Btw - Bonaire is my favourite Caribbean destination and Curacao is a #2 for now. Good luck in your search. :):):)

Hawaii ticks all your boxes, except possibly reasonable travel. It's not outrageous travel, but might fall outside your definition of reasonable. I would suggest the Big Island. If you really want to do a liveaboard you can do the Kona Agressor for one week and explore and dive on shore the second week. It's not cheap, but doesn't have to be as expensive as everyone says. The diving can be as easy or as challenging as you want. There's big stuff, but not too many sharks. There's little stuff too. And turtles everywhere. Lots of sites in the 30-60' range. It's generally warm, incredibly beautiful both underwater and above, and just a really special place to celebrate a milestone.

The St Lawrence River
- direct by car and no flights necessary
- water temps in the 70s in July/August
- lots of drift diving
- lots of diving in the 40-50' of water range
- no sharks
- politically stable (for now)
- vibrant reefs and water life (ahhh not so much)
- lots of shore diving or boat diving choices
- lots of divorce lawyers between Kingston and Cornwall in case you take my advise and actually book this trip in lieu of anywhere warmer.....Btw - Bonaire is my favourite Caribbean destination and Curacao is a #2 for now. Good luck in your search. :):):)

I love it. I took you half seriously for the first line or two.

Hawaii ticks all your boxes, except possibly reasonable travel. It's not outrageous travel, but might fall outside your definition of reasonable. I would suggest the Big Island. If you really want to do a liveaboard you can do the Kona Agressor for one week and explore and dive on shore the second week. It's not cheap, but doesn't have to be as expensive as everyone says. The diving can be as easy or as challenging as you want. There's big stuff, but not too many sharks. There's little stuff too. And turtles everywhere. Lots of sites in the 30-60' range. It's generally warm, incredibly beautiful both underwater and above, and just a really special place to celebrate a milestone.

I'll have to look into Hawaii. I hadn't even considered it, and that travel is highly reasonable (compared to 24-36 hrs and 3-4 connections to some sites in Asia). Thanks.

Dumaguete Resort - Atlantis Philippines Dive Resorts & Liveaboard

about 1/2 muck diving - but it's a damn good experience.

Good suggestion. I'll look into this.

This is on my bucket list - I have not done (to date)

Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard

I've got a solo trip booked to Socorro on the Rocio Del Mar coming up. I wonder if the Sea of Cortez itinerary might be an option for this trip.

I think that this is a great suggestion. There's lots of things to enjoy topside in Hawaii and then spending a week on the Aggressor will show you some of the best diving Hawaii has to offer.

When we did this trip were spent a few days on Oahu, then flew to the Big Island to board the Aggressor and dive for a week, and then we spent a few days relaxing in Kona. The water will be warmer in the summer months rather than spring.

• Healthy vibrant reefs with lots of color and life. Lots of biodiversity a plus.
  • Water temps in the high 70s or above. She gets cold fairly easily.
  • Liveaboard preferred, but shore-based is fine. She's a 2 or maybe 3 tank per day diver, but enjoys being on boats so would be fine staying on deck while others dive another tank or two.
  • Mild to moderate expected conditions. She's ok with drift diving if the current isn't super strong, or if we have a DM just for us. She wouldn't enjoy trying to get back on a boat if there were a lot of surface chop, nor would she enjoy much surge.
  • She prefers shallow to deep, both for more light and color but she feels more comfortable at 40' than 90' and that helps her enjoy the dive more.
  • Bigger stuff great, but not necessary. Too many sharks is actually a negative, as it puts her on edge. A few here and there is great, though.
  • Not too much tolerance for political instability
  • Hoping to have reasonable travel and flight connections from Toronto, Canada, but I understand that may need to be sacrificed
Her diving experience to date has all been Caribbean, so we'd like to go somewhere else. She's really enjoyed Cozumel (with some reservations about the current) and Bonaire (loved it). From the research I've done so far, it seems like there are a lot of possibilities in Asia. Raja Ampat keeps coming up (though the travel seems daunting), as do some places in the Philippines (and there's a direct flight from Toronto to Manila). Any suggestions for destinations/boats I should investigate?

The first line said it all - healthy vibrant reefs with lots of color and life would be the Coral Triangle in Asia. Indonesia is the hot spot, Philippines being right behind it. Water is steadily warm, at least 80F+ with occasional thermoclines. Most of my dives have been in the 82-86F range. In case you're interested in Coral Triangle photos, look here...These were from Raja Ampat but Komodo is not that far behind it: Amazon Photos

Anywhere else will pale in comparison, especially (in my opinion) the Caribbean and Hawaii. If not for the tolerance about political instability, I would have suggested Red Sea as that is what I would say is right behind the Philippines as it would have been really memorable to tour the archaeological sites. For a liveaboard, I think Komodo would be a great fit. I did my first liveaboard there at the strong urge and recommendation of fellow Scubaboard members there when I had about the same dive count (maybe slightly less) than your wife and it was the best decision I ever made and I still give credit to all the amazing people here for it. There are currents there, but dependent on when you dive the particular site relative to tides. The key is getting a very good dive shop or liveaboard who is experienced. You can even hire your own guide, if you so desire.

Raja Ampat is great, but as you say, it is a lot of extra travel. I also found the currents on dives way stronger than in Komodo - meaning, a lot of reef hook use, whereas when I dived Komodo I didn't really need one. You can go via Singapore or Jakarta pretty easily, but it is still an extra trek.

I suggest doing a liveaboard from Bali to Komodo if you want the full 10 days on a liveaboard, though I think maybe doing a 7 day liveaboard in just Komodo would be ideal as I have heard from a few people that the diving between Bali and Komodo was really underwhelming. You can also do it land based, but they are long days on slow boats and honestly, for a 0 ending birthday, it's probably better and more convenient to do a liveaboard. You can fly via Bali on the way in and out. (It's a little more than a 1 hour flight from Bali to the launch point for Komodo.) You can spend some time topside in Bali and explore, she can spa (very inexpensive!), or just bum on a beach, or all 3! :)

If Philippines, I suggest a liveaboard to Tubbataha that's about 6-7 days - late March to early June is the short season which coincides around the time you want to go to. It is supposed to be/arguably the best diving in the Philippines. It is incredibly pristine. There are quite a few sharks, but they are smaller reef sharks. They're not interested in you, but there are also whale sharks that swim by naturally and lots of big fish and pristine reef out there. Actual diving was not challenging but there are a lot of walls as it is an atoll. Jessie Beazley was stunning and a bit reminiscent of Raja Ampat without the density. If you hit it around end of April or early May, that is probably the best time as you won't get any weather outliers. There is a 12-14 hour crossing in open water so if you pick a larger boat, it will help. There is not really any open water in Komodo so if your wife gets seasick that's something to keep in mind..Nothing major that Dramamine can't prevent. :) You can spend the rest of the time bumming in a beach area of your choice afterwards but do know that travel in the Philippines is not as easy in Indonesia, in my experience.

If any of the above options sound good, let me know and I can suggest some boats or land based ops. :)

I like the Hawaii idea for all the things on offer there, though water will be colder in March than you probably want. The diving can be interesting and unique, but there are lots of rocky reefs without the color of many places. Tubbataha is a great idea.

Another thought for far flung places, since you’re willing to spend some money on a special trip - try to upgrade to business or first. Or at the very least premium economy (which means little on some airlines/planes/routes, but can be quite good on others.) It can turn a painful itinerary into something much more tolerable, nice even. Sometimes the fares are outrageous, but sometimes they can be sort of reasonable (with no rhyme or reason to it.) Someplace like the Philippines can be economical once you’re there, blow it on the airfare. :wink:

I love it. I took you half seriously for the first line or two.

I'll have to look into Hawaii. I hadn't even considered it, and that travel is highly reasonable (compared to 24-36 hrs and 3-4 connections to some sites in Asia). Thanks.

Good suggestion. I'll look into this.

I've got a solo trip booked to Socorro on the Rocio Del Mar coming up. I wonder if the Sea of Cortez itinerary might be an option for this trip.
Sea of Cortez would work if done August/September when water temps are more ideal. I like the Kona Agressor idea and as @KathyV said, summer is better all the way around. If April/May/June are your dates and you have direct flights to Manila, I would definitely be all over that. @outofofficebrb could let you know about the liveaboard options to Tubbataha and whether or not the level of diving there is suitable for your spouse. Puerto Galera or Dumaguete would be nice land based options.

Back
Top Bottom