Air integrated SPG/Computer: left or right side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Guys,

I have a Oceanic Proplus 3 dive computer; air integrated via hose. In this type of setup, do you route it to the left side (like an SPG) or to the right side (like a dive computer?). Does it matter? I'm currently routed to the right side, but feel like their are too many hoses on that side, between the under-arm 40" primary, necklace secondary, and computer. But I also feel more comfortable handling the computer and attached compass, so I'm still undecided.

Interested to hear others comments.

Hey Guys,

... or to the right side (like a dive computer?)...

Interested to hear others comments.
I personally wear my computer on the right, but your comment got me curious as to why you consider that option dictated by the fact it’s a computer, is it a DIR thing, something you read here?

I personally wear my computer on the right, but your comment got me curious as to why you consider that option dictated by the fact it’s a computer, is it a DIR thing, something you read here?

Wrist / arm mounted computers typically go on the right so you can monitor your depth while adjusting your buoyancy with your left arm (e.g. venting gas from wing and/or drysuit on ascent).

Wrist / arm mounted computers typically go on the right so you can monitor your depth while adjusting your buoyancy with your left arm (e.g. venting gas from wing and/or drysuit on ascent).
Thank you, it’s not what I asked at all, but thank you, your reply perfectly helps aiding my question to the OP (hint, hint)
@drk5036 i was curious if it was because of comments like the above the prompted you to think about mounting your console on the right side

During my open water course, they said the computer goes on the right wrist. As @Kmart921 above said, the reasoning I've heard is that you generally control air with your left hand which leaves your right arm free. In my case, I also wear a standard watch for keeping dive times on my left wrist, so right wrist (when I had a computer) made sense.

I really like having air integration so I can get a read-out of my SAC rate after diving...but If I could go back, I'd probably skip the ProPlus and go straight to a wireless air integrated Perdix. I miss being able to glance at my wrist to keep an eye on depth, rather than having to unclip a gauge. I actually looped some bungie through the back of the console so I can keep it snug on my hand towards the end of the dive when I'm paying closer attention to depth and remaining gas.

If it's a wrist computer it goes on the right as mentioned above so you can see it while ascending. I wear my console (depth/pressure down the left clipped off to a lower d-ring. It has a small retractor on it and if I twist it right, I can see it while it's clipped off. I also have a non-AI computer usually on my right wrist.

I also often have a video camera in my right hand so that's a factor. My buddy has a Cobalt - left side.

There is no right answer, do what feels right to you.

I wear my main computer on my LEFT arm, it is easier to monitor the computer when going up while holding the BC hose. A quick glance to the left and I can see everything without any issues. I don't see the point of needing to wear it on the right wrist. My back up computer is usually on my right wrist.

During my open water course, they said the computer goes on the right wrist.
Wow, that is interesting, and I’d be even more intrigued if you tell me that was with their rental gear, I’m assuming you took OW training on your own gear, is that right, you had your own before OW training, wrist computer and SPG on reg?

Who are “they”, btw, agency, instructor, ones who sold you the gear?
Where is it you took your OW training?

Sorry about the interrogation man, I am surprised (pleased) by this whole thing, to my experience, beginners (ones taking OW training obviously) generally use consoles, you almost will never see rentals with just SPG and wrist computers, even the very very rare instances of students who buy gear prior to training lean towards the “easy” “convenient” all in one place consoles, heck, even if they get a wrist computer, most will put it on the left arm, probably because that’s where you put a watch(?)
Anyway, just curious to learn more about it, thanks

Wow, that is interesting, and I’d be even more intrigued if you tell me that was with their rental gear, I’m assuming you took OW training on your own gear, is that right, you had your own before OW training, wrist computer and SPG on reg?

Who are “they”, btw, agency, instructor, ones who sold you the gear?
Where is it you took your OW training?

Sorry about the interrogation man, I am surprised (pleased) by this whole thing, to my experience, beginners (ones taking OW training obviously) generally use consoles, you almost will never see rentals with just SPG and wrist computers, even the very very rare instances of students who buy gear prior to training lean towards the “easy” “convenient” all in one place consoles, heck, even if they get a wrist computer, most will put it on the left arm, probably because that’s where you put a watch(?)
Anyway, just curious to learn more about it, thanks

We teach dive computers in our entry level courses. The students will get a lecture on dive computers and their use in class and use dive computer in their openwater training part (we do 8 - 10 dives in the Scuba Diver course). Students also receive extensive training on dive table use.

Back
Top Bottom